• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD CTL 332 won't run after draining water separator

ABruso

Occupation
Compost Owner/Operator
Hi all, I have a John Deere 332 track machine. It's been running great since I've had it. It is my second machine, but 1st diesel one. I had not drained the fuel/water separator it in a while, so it drained quite a bit of liquid. It looked like watery fuel. After it finished draining I closed it up. I started it, it ran for 10 seconds then just lost engine power down to 0 rpm. I can't start it now.

The water separator has a primer button on top and a fuel line bleed screw. I tried priming and bleeding a lot of different ways and nothing worked. I even pumped the primer what seemed to be 50 times. I also took off the water separator and it was filled with fuel in the center like it should be.

Not sure what color the exhaust is cause I was alone and it was dark out. Is this a clue?

The directions said nothing about having to prime after draining the separator.

Whats my next step?

Jim Dandy

I have a 332 and they are a real pain to get reprimed. Mine has a that primary fuel filter that you describe and then there is a inline fuel filter. One time I took the fuel line off the in line and sucked fuel to it. That worked, but you still had to crank and crank the engine. What I do now is take the inner and outer air filter off and have someone spray a SMALL amount of ether down the air intake. That allows it to fire and that is enough for the engine to pull fuel and prime itself. I am sure some will tell you not to do the ether, so ask others, but it does work and I can't see any ill effects.

ABruso

Occupation
Compost Owner/Operator
Got it primed, but it was a pain in the ass. Tow things that worked.

Having a second person prime while I was cranking. This almost got it going.

Second thing that actually worked was to have someone bleed and prime from the pump and bleeder on the water seperator while I was cranking. This got it going