• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

jd450J lt vs. jd650h lt

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
Looking for some opinions and real world users/knowledge on either of these dozers i'm looking into buying. The 2005 450J lt has 2000 hours and 70% u/c. The 2004 650h lt has 3000 hours and 50% u/c. Both are the basically the same money to purchase. The machine will be used on my farm to build/maintain a MX track and maintain old woods roads on my farm. Possibility to get some Gas company work grading pads and developing access roads. Looking for some advise on the pro's and con's of each. thanks in advance. :usa

Semper Fi

Last edited:

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
get the 650H, hands down. I work in the gas buisiness and you hardly ever see 450's out working, but we have 5 650's at work, H and J models. If they are the same money, i would go with the bigger dozer you wont be dissapointed

Jim Dandy

I agree with the previous post get the 650. I have a 650 G and about 2 years ago I had the undercarraige redone including sprokets, rollers, new pins and bushings, we left the idlers alone. Also, had the tensioner arms rechromed. This cost us about 7000.00 which included new bushings for the u shaped piece that the blade is attached to. That should give you a good idea about the cost of redoing the 650's undercarraige.

adv.wastewater

i dont know if the 650 is a high track or what exactly it is, if your buildinga outdoor track you should be alright with either, but to build sx style jumps and berms and even whoops you really need a lgp.... if thats what youre buying the dozer for. i race professionally, mx and sx and i maintain my supercross tracks with a 262b with VTS and build all of my rythm sections and whoops with a 450J lgp. without lgp when you go to walk your faces in they will just push flat... any questions just ask... my sx season was supposed to start next weekend in indianapolis but i got hurt practicing.

gasfield315c

Occupation
a 650 is basically the same sized dozer as a 450, just heavier and more hp

Digger1000

The only major difference between the late H series and early J series is the drive motors. If they are the same price, you'll appreciate the extra HP of the 650.

pafarmer

Occupation
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a basically brand new 2008 650J LT Cab tractor with full forestry package. Full Screens, Sweeps, Rock Guards, Winch etc........under 200 hours. It will be here in a few days. I'll try and get pictures on here but i need to wait for my son to come home from college because I am clueless on posting pictures. This machine was a retirement present to myself and I paid for it in full after 41 years of work. I have to tell you all it was hard to wire that amount of cash out but i wanted one all of my life and now i have a great machine , better than I ever dreamed of and have the time to enjoy it too. Hurry Spring...Thanks agian.

Last edited:

gasfield315c

Occupation
well just think, with a machine like that you can make back many times over what you paid for it just doing odd and end jobs, cuz if you worked 41 years and retired you are gonna get tired of piddeling around the house...lol

Deereman

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a basically brand new 2008 650J LT Cab tractor with full forestry package. Full Screens, Sweeps, Rock Guards, Winch etc........under 200 hours. It will be here in a few days. I'll try and get pictures on here but i need to wait for my son to come home from college because I am clueless on posting pictures. This machine was a retirement present to myself and I paid for it in full after 41 years of work. I have to tell you all it was hard to wire that amount of cash out but i wanted one all of my life and now i have a great machine , better than I ever dreamed of and have the time to enjoy it too. Hurry Spring...Thanks agian.
Thats a hell of a machine that you picked up there. That gives me something to look forward to when I retire. (Oh wait, I won't get to)

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
jd450J lt vs. jd650h lt:

I ended up getting a basically brand new 2008 650J LT Cab tractor with full forestry package. I have to tell you all it was hard to wire that amount of cash out but i wanted one all of my life and now i have a great machine , better than I ever dreamed of and have the time to enjoy it too.

There just happens to be a guy in Montana, that knows exactly how you feel... :thumbsup

Now, you promised pictures too... ;)

And, keep us posted about how well you like the machine, and the projects you do... yes, pictures too.

Thanks agian.

Thank you... for making me feel good!!

OCR... :)

pafarmer

Occupation
OCR, your welcome and congrats to you. Deereman, thank you for the kind words, you too will get to retire one day too my friend, one way or another we all retire. Gasfield thanks for the advise. The machine came from a big JD dealer in your wonderful state, you probably know whom i speak of. The machine will be here tommorrow morning. The driver got to within 4 hours of my farm this evening and decided to rest for the night and make his way in the morning. Pictures to follow soon. Thanks to all again. Great site with great group of helpful guys.

Semper Fi

gasfield315c

Occupation
well i'm only 23 so i still have a loooong time to go before i retire, if i ever do. And you must be talking about Leslie Equipment, since they are the only Deere dealer for 3 states, they are easy to deal with and get parts, and they have really good field techs

pafarmer

Occupation
Great people to deal with. The owner happens to be a great friend and gave me an excellent buy on the 650. They treat everyone real fair and service after the sale is their strong point for sure. highly recommended to anyone that has to have a Deere.

Semper Fi

vernier

You will certainly appreciate the engineering that Deere put into that machine ! About Three years ago I got to tour the dozer plant in Dubuqe Iowa where these are assembeld, it was very impressive. At that time they had what they called a Gold Key program, if someone ordered a machine and wanted to see it being built, you could follow it right down the assembly line, and when it was done they would give you the key and you could drive it out the door. They were very nice people, if you had any questions along they way they were more than glad to explain what was going on. I currently own a 550J and am very satisfied with it.
Good Luck
Vernier

pafarmer

Occupation
Venrier, We had that opportunity with a new combine a few years back. Did not have the time to take advantage of it but it sure sounds interesting. Now that i have nothing but time, i may just take that tour, lord knows i paid for half of that factory over the years i certainly think i should see the factory some day.