• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 40F platform swing/lift control quit.

dn29626

I have removed the control from the lift.
After removing the top section, it appears the bottom of the joystick broke off. The rest seems OK.
I sprayed cleaned everything with WD40. I am going to reattach it without the joystick and test to see if will operate tomorrow (if it is not raining).

If I need to post this lift under another category, please advise, thanks.

Last edited:

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
What brand of controllers does your machine have? If lift and swing are the same controller, you must have Cutler/Hammer

40F Controllers.jpg

dn29626

The problem is the broken stick.
I was able to swing and go up/down, so the box passed the test.
It cannot be operated like this, so ... now to find a stick or try to repair this one.

I noticed another thread on these 40F...dilemma...long thread.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
The controller is a Cutler-Hammer #10250T451

If you Google that, you'll get plenty of hits. I did have one, not sure if I still do. I'll look when I get back to work tomorrow.

dn29626

Thank you OFF.

I read through 40 pages of ... dilemma ... today (so far).
Thank you for your continuing support.

Last edited:

dn29626

Short, what seems very short, the stick?
I am only interested in the stick and that top enclosure that should be held on by two screws.
I am not interested in the square bottom. (Confusing ?)

If you do not have one, this is the route I am planning.
**I just finished reading the...JLG 40 F dilemma...a long read.

Last edited:

dn29626

OFF
Thinking out loud.
I prefer to repair this correctly, as I can source reasonably priced parts.
My alternate question.
I see one wire shared into all the electrical tabs on one side (the basket side), on the other are separate/different color wires per tab.
Can individual momentary toggle switches operate these machines? For example, one toggle switch per function?

Last edited:

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
OFF
Thinking out loud.
I prefer to repair this correctly, as I can source reasonably priced parts.
My alternate question.
I see one wire shared into all the electrical tabs on one side (the basket side), on the other are separate/different color wires per tab.
Can individual momentary toggle switches operate these machines? For example, one toggle switch per function?

dn29626, sorry I didn't notice your question before now. By "short", I meant the square bottom piece, not the stick. The stick looked right.
As for toggle switches, yes you can. The way your machine is built, you can run all the basket functions with momentary toggle switches. JLG did that exact thing with some of the 40HA models later on. Every function of some of them was toggle except for the drive.

dn29626

I purchase a joystick and got it installed this week. Operated my lift for several hours today.
OFF, thanks for the supportive insight.