• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere – Hitachi 120 With Rebuilt Pump and No Hydraulic Function

KGB

We recently had our hydraulic pump fail on our John Deere 120 excavator and replaced it with a rebuilt pump. Currently the machine has no hydraulic functions working with the rebuilt pump.

Prior to the rebuild, pump 1 was functioning and Pump 2 completely failed. This a dual swash plate piston pump HPK055AT Hitachi pump.

I have swapped the Speed Sensing fluid solenoids to see if that was an issue, but no change. I tested the pilot pump pressure and it is around 725psi, so I don't think it is a pilot pump problem.

It seems that this is most likely a faulty rebuild and the swash plates are not actuating, but seems odd that both sides would be stuck.

Has anyone else had a similar issue or have any suggestions?
Thank you.

excavator

First thing needed is a model and serial number. What failed in the original pump? Was it a complete internal failure? What was your hydraulic system clean up procedure? There are many other questions but this would be a good start.

KGB

Thanks for the reply; it is a John Deere 120C, SN: FF120CX034513.

The machine ran low on hydraulic oil due to a leak and the pump 2 pistons disintegrated and failed. Hydraulic oil was replaced and all hydraulic filters replaced.

The rebuilt pump was filled with oil and bled, but I am wondering if it is possible that there is air in the cylinders. Seems like tracks should work though.