• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 120 Swing Issue

JS430

Found a 1999 Deere 120 that seems to be a good deal but has an issue with the swing. Seller says you have to hold back a touch on one of the drive levers to make it swing. Says swings fine as long as you hold the lever a touch. Machine has 12,000 hours but looks fairly good in the pics I've seen. Anyone have an idea on the swing issue or any other problems these hoes may have?

skyking1

that could be a lot of things. First guess is that travel spool is bad and leaking and bleeding off pressure. I just don't know how.
Please post up the serial number for the pros to come in and help you.

JS430

He sent me a video today and when you move the joystick to swing left or right nothing happens but when he pushed the right stick a little bit forward with his foot the hoe swung just fine. Not sure I can attach video but will try later. I've never owned or operated an excavator but need one to clean up on a ranch. Maybe put 150-200 hrs on it then sell it.
Screenshot_20240228_164242_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20240228_164207_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20240228_164242_Facebook.jpg

JS430

I couldn't attach the video but when he tries to swing you can hear the engine load up slightly. When he swings with the right lever slighty pushed forward the machine swings and engine doesn't load up.

skyking1

keep looking. That thing is a bit rough, nobody lets the lines get broken off and dangling like that if they know what they are doing and what the consequences are of that line failing there.
I would walk right away from that one.
The grab handle is wrapped around the cab corner like they had no clue.
Where is the wiper? it is gone that is where it is.
If you want to clean up on a ranch, I am guessing some trees and stumps and things.
It does not have a a thumb. It never had a thumb. Just walk away and keep looking for what you need.

JS430

It's cheap enough for me to use awhile if the swing deal doesn't turn into a major issue. A thumb would be nice but I have a skid steer and grapple to clean up with. If I need a windshield wiper I'll probably just go to the house. I've got a couple pools I need to clean up around and lower the banks on, bury two old barns and tear out about 3,000' of fence row. We put 1,000 hrs on a dozer clearing brush and still need to bury some of the piles and stumps. I really just need a junker than will last a 100-150 hrs then I'll sell it. I appreciate the comments though. Not sure if I'll buy this one or not but the price seems reasonable.

JS430

$18k hoping to get it for $15-16k. I honestly don't care if it's rough I just need it to operate decent enough to use.

JS430

Do the Deere 120's swing while traveling? Was thinking it could be a simple adjustment issue or the spool in that foot pedal.

SheldonZ28

They should swing while travelling, and also while sitting still. I just went through the same deal you are looking to, and had to get myself through wanting to overlook things that I knew potentially could be a big issue just because I liked the price. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed (and a bunch of more experienced input) and I walked away from a few and eventually came across one that had significantly less risk of wildly expensive repairs. Sounds like this machine is just waiting to cost you what you paid for it, in repairs. If it only lasts your 150 hours and then its toast & worthless to resell, did you gain anything vs just renting a machine to do the work you need? Better to spend a bit more now, and know it will still be worth something when you are done.

JS430

The last machine I looked at was a 1998 Case 9020b. This rig worked ok but needed the swivel seals replaced in the near future and was missing the side access panels. Is that a repair you should shy away from? Just wondering what kind of repairs to say I can fix that and what to walk away from. I honestly don't want to spend $45k on a perfectly running ho then take it out in the trees and brush for the next year or so. I also hate to end up with $35k in a 20k ho. I've never owned or ran one so came on here hoping for advice on repairs but so for am only getting buy one that needs nothing. That might be what I should do.

SheldonZ28

I bought a '99 Case 9010B with 12k hours, and doing more or less the same thing as you except that I will use my machine for most of the work on my property build and anticipate putting a thousand hours or more on it. It has some issues with bogging under load, which is a fuel related issue and is my work for sunday to repair. I am far from an expert, as I am a machinist, not a heavy equipment tech, but am tooled and capable to perform service work, and have been obsessively researching to understand hydraulic diagnosis with the assumption I will have failures on the machine. Knowing the pump, swing motor, and final drives are all $10k components, I was not willing to buy something already having hydraulic issues as that would be the heaviest cost and the things I had the least experience with.

Unfortunately any older machine is a risk of an expensive failure, and if you have to call in service techs for repairs it can get out of hand real quick. I personally chose to hold out for a machine that did not already have hydraulic issues. Mine has some electrical stuff to sort out, is missing some cab windows, and the fuel issue but those are right up my alley as far as being able to deal with. Tough to find older ones that arent relatively neglected, but they are out there. Hoping that by the time I am done with mine, after all of the service work and care, that I should be able to turn a profit on it when I sell it.

Good luck with the search, its a tough one to be disciplined and not buy yourself a liability.

SheldonZ28

Are you looking to be in a certain size range? I found the 20-30T machines were much easier to find in relatively good shape for sub $40k. For my use, I am building my driveway through a forest and I did not want the driveway to end up way wider than I wanted just to allow the larger machine to swing. In my searching I found the 10-15T machines to almost be the most expensive of everything used.

JS430

I'm looking for a 25-35T machine. I've found some bigger machines fairly priced but having them trucked in gets expensive. The smaller machines get out of hand price wise. Seems like $30-35k is the price for a 25-30T with only minor issues and 7,500-10,000 hours. The only deal is that every machine that has an issue didn’t have one a short time ago. They all break down at some point once they get old.

skyking1

yes walk away from the 120 and get the bigger iron, 100% of the time every time IMO.
Swivel seals are not bad. It helps to have another machine.
Clean out the center bay under the boom until it is spotless. Grab most of it out rather than blast it back in your face with a pressure washer.
Go get all the right line caps and plugs don't cheap out on that.
Hook the shop vac to the tank and pull a little suction on it to keep the oil draining under control, and you will be amazed at how little oil you have to clean up.
Pull and cap everything on top.
Crawl under and repeat for the 6 lines down there.
Unbolt, and you will probably see some tapped holes to screw an eye into or arrange a strap across some of those caps.
with a helper and another machine, hoist it out the top.
Either take it apart and fix it yourself, or take it to a good shop. Either way you saved a ton doing the Removal and Replacement (R&R).

JS430

That's a good thread you did allot of work on that machine. Any idea how many hours it has on it? I did a little looking and found out the one I'm looking at is in an auction yard. Someone in that thread you had mentioned how folks just send one to auction now days and get a new one. With the way things are now I can definitely see sending one that is giving trouble to an auction and replacing with newer equipment if you use it to make a living. I've got new and old equipment it just depends on how much I depend on it. I definitely wouldn't want to be without a newer tractor or skidsteer but, a dozer or ho is another story.

skyking1

9200 hours when I tore into it. All that is left really is the stick end bushings, IMO and it is not that rattly.
It was a case of "the hoe you know".

I would go big iron if you are not hauling it around. It is only one money to haul it in and the next guy pays to haul it out.
Keep in mind, your time is worth something. The big hoe gets 2x as much done for your time, or more.