• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 160clc slow and week functions intermittent

The Dirt Guy

So, I pulled the main pump this past weekend, preparing to send it off...I have a few questions that I can't seem to answer by looking through the book. To start off when i pulled the pilot filter (again) I found some really chunky metal (looked to not be aluminum or brass more like steal), so I started to think about the flow of fluid, and this is where my question is...does the pilot filter catch oil from the main pump or from another part of the system? what's the flow path for the fluid? I am concerned if its from somewhere else other than the main pump then I may be spinning my wheels on replacing the pump in a sense.

Diesel Dave

The Dirt Guy

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking, so this trash has to have come from the main pump...What are the odds of the pilot filter capturing all the debris your opinion? of course, flush the system like I have done before but the odds of big chunks making it through to the valve controller and signal manifold etc. and when I say big chunks I'm talking 3/16" diameter size and down.

Also, boom up and right track would not function at all when I started the machine to assist in moving it to a good location to work on. I am assuming this is due to the pumps and pilot pump but if not...what else could I inspect since its down for repair? Thoughts?

Diesel Dave

Through the whole thread you have never mentioned finding any filings/ debris apart from a couple of times recently in the pilot filter.
While the main pump is off, I would see what you find in the hydraulic filter , bottom of the tank and the suction screen before I got too excited about a big clean up.

The Dirt Guy

Will do, I didn’t mention it previously bc when I cut the filters there wasn’t anything major or suspicious but this time it could be different I will updat le next week I plan on cutting the filters over the weekend and disassembling the main pump prior to shipping for rebuild.

The Dirt Guy

Pump Gear 2.jpgPump Gear 3.jpgPump Gear 4.jpgPump Gear.jpg
here are the photos from where i took the pump apart the gear is chewed up badly and there is a crack in the rotary piston pump. so this is obviously the source for the failure. I'm cautious in thinking the entire system is contaminated to the point where if i replace with new the likelyhood of the hydraulic system becoming trashed again is high to where i would be back with a hydraulic system failed. I will update again...once i have drained the tank and cylinders and cut the filters.

The Dirt Guy

View attachment 287585View attachment 287586View attachment 287587View attachment 287588
here are the photos from where i took the pump apart the gear is chewed up badly and there is a crack in the rotary piston pump. so this is obviously the source for the failure. I'm cautious in thinking the entire system is contaminated to the point where if i replace with new the likelyhood of the hydraulic system becoming trashed again is high to where i would be back with a hydraulic system failed. I will update again...once i have drained the tank and cylinders and cut the filters.
we stopped here once we found this because we didnt see the point in tearing it apart any further prior to shipping for rebuild.

Diesel Dave

Are you still apart ?
I should have asked you to take a pic of the backside of the rear housing where the valve plates slide.
Its interesting the drive gears are so messed up !

Diesel Dave

Can you take the valve plates out ?
take a pic of the back side of the valve plates and a pic of the rear housing sealing surfaces that the valve plates slide on.

Last edited:

The Dirt Guy

Sorry I didn't take a picture of the back side of the valve plates, but I do remember seeing light abrasions on them but no big gashes or cracks, my attention shifted when I seen the gears and just automatically said well there it is.

The Dirt Guy

Ok community….I finally installed the rebuilt pump. Issues are no functions will work except for stick in/out, swing L/R, and bucket curl in/out. Any thoughts?

I will post pressures tonight once I record them. I do know the pilot system at the filter housing is good it was at 550psi.

The Dirt Guy

Ok community….I finally installed the rebuilt pump. Issues are no functions will work except for stick in/out, swing L/R, and bucket curl in/out. Any thoughts?

I will post pressures tonight once I record them. I do know the pilot system at the filter housing is good it was at 550psi.
Also, pump 2 delivery pressure will not get above 682psi while pump 1 is >5000psi. I have to track down tonight and see if s pressure sensor is out but they are all new once again kind of at a loss with what the issue is.

The Dirt Guy

Pump 1 delivery pressure 5,497psi (using boom up function)

Pump2 delivery pressure 638psi (using boom up function) 1682 psi if using L track only

Pump 1 control pressure 551psi

Pump 2 control pressure 551psi

Boom up pilot pressure 594psi

Arm in pilot pressure 594psi

Swing pilot pressure 594psi

Propel speed pilot pressure 594psi

The Dirt Guy

Pressures when no functions are used are below.

Pump 1 delivery pressure at idle 290psi high rpm no function used 667psi

Pump2 delivery pressure at idle 116psi high rpm no function used 188psi

Pump 1 control pressure low idle 145 psi high idle 145 psi

Pump 2 control pressure low idle 145psi high idle 145psi

The Dirt Guy

I will have to take that measurement this weekend to make sure but I feel like it was low like the measurement I sent earlier. Im thinking I have a relief stuck open or a spool not functioning properly. I am assuming this since the pump failed maybe some debris was sent to the control valve. But this is just thoughts night now.

The Dirt Guy

I will have to take that measurement this weekend to make sure but I feel like it was low like the measurement I sent earlier. Im thinking I have a relief stuck open or a spool not functioning properly. I am assuming this since the pump failed maybe some debris was sent to the control valve. But this is just thoughts night now.
I measured the low and maximum output adjustments and they were equal and in line with the manual as well.