• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 290 Excavator

DripCo

I am considering buying a 290 Excavator. Looks to be in good condition. Has around 4500 Hours on it. Anybody know of any inherent problems with this particular machine. Any help or input appreciated. Thanx Drip

Deereman

There only a few around here, but I would check over the swing gear box real good. Try to see if you can run the machine for a couple of hours. Get it good and hot to see if anything pops up. I would check the oil in the final drives as well as all the other fluids. Its a start.. Please post if you buy or have any other questions.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I owned one many moons ago .... it was an '89 ... fully guarded, and with a hyd thumb ....
She was a good little girl ... when it ran ..... was rather warm blooded, and HATED THE COLD ....... it could be the middle of July, you open the cab door and say the word COLD and it would not start .... and we did check everything on it from valve lash to timing, it was just that engine ... a buddy of mine had a 490D from the same era and it too was the same thing

Other than that, if you ran other excavators with the short joy-sticks ... the 290 has longer ones, which I found OK except don't use the arm rests on the seat.
It was a machine that was amazing for its size, a little rocky, could use a slightly longer under carriage, if it was a blade runner, like its next smaller brother the 70D (had one of them for a short time too) that would have made it perfect

It was a machine that you always wished it had 2' more reach, it was kinda a machine stuck in between sizes, not a mini but not a biggy, but again it could blow your mind what it'll do

Let us know if you get it .... good-luck