• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 318D Engine Fan not working

Wally Betcher

Hello, bought a 2012 John Deere 318D Skid steer with under 800 hour. Looked like a great deal until we found out that it was over heating all the time. The fan is run via hydraulics that is controlled by a valve with 3 solenoids. 1 solenoid has power the other 2 don't even after trying all the switches. It does have a reverse fan setting as an option that does not look like it does anything at this time. Already spend over a grand with the John Deere Dealer technician and they want more diagnostics to be done. Hoping for some guidance if any one has any idea what it might be.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Hello, bought a 2012 John Deere 318D Skid steer with under 800 hour. Looked like a great deal until we found out that it was over heating all the time. The fan is run via hydraulics that is controlled by a valve with 3 solenoids. 1 solenoid has power the other 2 don't even after trying all the switches. It does have a reverse fan setting as an option that does not look like it does anything at this time. Already spend over a grand with the John Deere Dealer technician and they want more diagnostics to be done. Hoping for some guidance if any one has any idea what it might be.
Wally what is your email so I can send you some manuals so you have something to work with to start off with .

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Wally;)!

Serial number?

On that valve, unplug the solenoid that is on the side (not the one's on top) and start the machine. Does the fan turn? If not then that valve should come apart and be inspected for debris. Also take of the hydraulic filter and cut it open and inspect for debris.

The serial number will help determine also if you have the updated fan speed valve or not.

Last edited:

Grass finished

Can I also get a copy of the manuals? I have the same problem. Fan works unplugged. Tested the coils and valves, all work as necessary. Fan will not spin at startup when plugged in, but switch will give reverse function momentarily. Is this an electrical or hydraulic issue. Thank you for your assistance.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Can I also get a copy of the manuals? I have the same problem. Fan works unplugged. Tested the coils and valves, all work as necessary. Fan will not spin at startup when plugged in, but switch will give reverse function momentarily. Is this an electrical or hydraulic issue. Thank you for your assistance.
What is your email ?

cbritt927

Hi all - we are having the same problem with a 333e. Slow fan. Overheating. Purchased new pump, no help. Took apart block with solenoids, etc. no help. Replaced hydro filter.... no help. Pressure washed radiator, no help. Fuses are all good. Fan spins (slowly) at idle and turns up with throttle speed but it's not going very fast. How did I know if it's a solenoid? or a hydro problem?

1T333EMVEE26477 is serial.

Thanks,
Clint

Attachments

• IMG_4091.jpg
    IMG_4091.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

Rcguenther

So, I actually have the 333E, with the similar issue. The fan does not spin when engine is started. I understand the VCU controls the fan speed based on monitoring the coolant temp, hydra temp, hydro temp, and the air conditioning state. However on Y31 of the Solenoid Valve Coil I do get 10.2 volts in dc, and on a simple test with a screwdriver to get magnetic off the top, which I do, so that would tell me that the coil is working. However the magnetic response compared to the reverse fan solenoid is way different. I'm starting to think that the forward solenoid is bad. Any thoughts?

Rcguenther

Hi all - we are having the same problem with a 333e. Slow fan. Overheating. Purchased new pump, no help. Took apart block with solenoids, etc. no help. Replaced hydro filter.... no help. Pressure washed radiator, no help. Fuses are all good. Fan spins (slowly) at idle and turns up with throttle speed but it's not going very fast. How did I know if it's a solenoid? or a hydro problem?

1T333EMVEE26477 is serial.

Thanks,
Clint
Clint, what was your final outcome on this issue?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Rcguenther;)!

Serial number?

Unplug that solenoid. Does the fan turn? It should run at full speed when unplugged. If not, then the first thing I recommend is to remove the hydraulic filters, cut them open and inspect them.
How to inspect a filter.

Rcguenther

Serial #1T0333EMPDE248966

Unplug the solenoid, fan does not run at all, Looking for an operators manual or service manual as well. I have a few pages printed from the dealership. When the machine running, you can bump the fan and it stops right away, bump harder it starts to spin, at full throttle it spins, blows air, but not as fast as it should, and within 15 minutes, the machine overheats.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Either your fan motor sh&t the bed, or some debris from somewhere else (charge pump, hydraulic pump, debris from an attachment, packing material, etc) got into the solenoid. Your issue is not control, it is mechanical. That's why I suggest you inspect filters. That fan, even in freezing weather, should always turn.

Rcguenther

On a 333E tracked skidloader, where is the hydraulic drain plug? The manual only shows a wheeled machine, and the location is not there.

Rcguenther

Just spent the last 4 hours replacing all hydraulic fluid, and filter. We did cut the old filter apart, inspected the filter, appears fine. Put new Hydra fluid in straight from Deere, $460 ouch. Did pull out the Solenoid Valve Coil appeared fine, and did pull out the Pressure Relief Valve and cleaned it out a bit, re-inserted, filled new oil, reassembled machine, started up, fan appeared to be spinning slowly on start. Ran machine for about 15 minutes and the machine overheated. Brought back into the shop, attempted to disconnect the pressure relief valve as stated to run full blown, and still not spinning. I believe my next thing is to replace the relief valve and then go towards the fan motor. Suggestions?

bobatack

Did pull out the Solenoid Valve Coil
The coil in itself could be ok...but that valve that is operated with the coil is possibly your problem
Such as something stuck in valve not letting it open/close as needed
On a side note it might be less expensive to follow the advise given by MG2361 step by step until you know exactly where or what the problem is