• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 318D Engine Fan not working

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
inspected the filter, appears fine
By this you mean clean? Or just some small fine looking metal? Sorry, I need specifics.

Just spent the last 4 hours replacing all hydraulic fluid
So, you found the drain plug. I don't recall off the top of my head, but it should have been in the location indicated, even with tracks. It is not on the bottom of the reservoir, it is on the side, about an inch up from the bottom.

did pull out the Pressure Relief Valve
By this, do you mean the solenoid cartridge on the fan motor?

Normally, when there is a no turning of the fan on a SSL/CTL, the first thing I do after pulling the plug on the solenoid (with no change in fan speed) and filter inspection (and no debris found) is check the charge pressure. If that is OK, then I move to a motor leakage test. You would need to run a separate hose from the case drain of the fan motor (plug the original hose to prevent the reservoir from draining) and route it safely out to a measurable container. Then with the fan speed solenoid disconnected, engine at fast idle, leakage from the motor's case drain should not exceed 17 oz/min. If it is within spec, then your issue is in the solenoid cartridge, or the charge pump (tested with a flow test with a flow meter). Obviously, if it exceeds 17 oz/min, then the motor is the issue.

Wally Betcher

Hello Everyone, Little late with an update on my findings but this is what had to be done to fix my issues after spending about 6 Grand with the dealers. I have the updated Fan Speed Valve. Ran into more than 1 issue that caused my problem.

#1 - Make sure all the solenoids are torqued to spec as overtightening them will impact if the solenoids are going to properly work or not. Problem #1
#2 - 2 of my solenoids needed to be replaced. Problem #2
#3 - Computer was not controlling the Fan Speed Correctly - Needed a new Computer. Problem #3

On top of the 6 Grand the computer was going to cost me another $3,500.00 or so. Dealer gave me a choice to bypass the computer as at that time I was done spending money with everyone and just wanted any fix without costing me anymore.

To bypass the computer the dealer ran a direct power wire from the ignition switch to 2 of the solenoids on the Fan Speed Valve body and disconnected (Cut) 2 wires so the computer does not interfere anymore. The Fan now runs at a constant 1 way speed every time I start the Skid Steer. It does not overheat whatsoever. If have attached a picture of where the ignition wire was connected to the solenoids if one of you decides to by pass the computer.

Hope it helps many, Regards Wally [email protected]

Capture.JPG