• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 320 D

dirty4fun

I got a chance to run a new J D 320D today that the township just got. I was installing new driveway metal culverts with my backhoe and they wanted me to try it out. I am used to a joy stick on my Case thet move very easy, the J D steering levers moves very hard. I know it is new, but if they had brought it out from the dealer for me to try the deliver guy would of gotten to take it right back with him.

The levers move very hard to move forward or backward. The lift and bucket tilt were stiff but not to bad. The hydraulic release to change from the bucket to forks is very slow. I ran it about a half hour and parked it, my old New Holland backhoe felt great after running the John Deere 320D.

Anyone else ran one and had the same experiences? I wish the people that design things had to run them a while, to see and feel how something operates.

k45

The joysticks on my 325 are very easy to use. I remember hearing that the lever setup on the 320 was not nearly as nice and that's why I went with the 325.

Ken

dave esterns

yes, i will never know how all these companies are getting away with selling so many of these goofy machines with manual controls; makes them cheaper i guess. thats the way most skid steers are configured. its the system that has been grandfathered in through the years, and its all people know. i can see why a case man would hate most other skid steers. most companies offer electric controls these days if you want them, but they are not quite as sweet as the old case servo controls; although you might have pilot controls by the sound of it.

hvy 1ton

I guess it wasn't an EH machine. I've never been a fan of the deere pilot controls, need to lift weights every day just to be able to run it.

dirty4fun

I was just wondering, if there was something that needed adjustment or what. When I first when to move I thought the parking brake didn't release, the levers moved so hard. I guess it is like going to the gym for a work out while working.

It was even worse that I have gotten so used to driving with one hand and almost zero effort. I sure would hate to plow snow for hours like I do with the John Deere. I just can't believe anyone would call themself an engineer that designed it to work so hard. It did have a nice foot throttle, but no room for somone with big feet like mine.

Deereman

Were you running it at idle? And there is a reason for making both style of controls. If this machine is new, then there should be nothing for you to service or look at. It "should have been" PDI when it was taken in to the dealership and made ready for the customer. Of Course the Deere servo's will require a little more effort but not to the point of you being unhappy with it. I have run them all day long for many days with no problems. As far as room for your feet I am a 12 and a half with no prob. Just some machines may not feel right. Thats just how it is some times. Other then that how did you like the machine D4F?

dirty4fun

Deereman, When I first started to operate the 320 it was idleing. I thought the parking brake was on, as the levers moved so hard. Then after being sure they the parking brake was off, I operated the 320 with probably 2/3 throttle. I did like the foot throttle it seemed pretty nice, much better than my Case, till I modified the pedal. There is very little room for my size 16 shoes, and if I had rubber boots on it would be very tight. I will see if I can find a spring scale, though not real accurate, to see how how many pounds it takes to operate the levers. Then let you know what my findings.

I meant was I said earlier, if they had broght it out for me to demo, the delivery man would of taken it back with him. I plow snow with mine, and spend 14 to 18 hours with only a fuel stop and a couple places that have to be shoveled, out of the skidsteer. No way could I stand to run the JD 320 much more than an hour, and feel like I wanted to ever get back in the machine.

dave esterns

the standard bobcats are the same way. i put 1000 hours a year on. its fine till about hour 3, then the controls really get to be a pain. if i run it for more than 8 hours it gets to the point where you cant do it anymore. eventually your muscle builds up so you can handle it better. as far as the size 16 shoe, i mean, they kinda shoot for the average when designing things...

dirty4fun

Dig,

Better foundation under church than an outhouse! Believe me I have heard them all, some good and few not so good.