• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 4045DF150 Engine on 40 KW Generator Fuel Pressure Problem

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Serial number# T04045D776358 Looking to find out how much is minimum fuel pressure coming out of secondary Filter to go to fuel injection pump.
Just got an adapter made to test the pressure. Has died a couple times out of fuel in less than 1 hours run.
Changed the tank fuel filter and all the engine fuel filters.
They just refilled the tank that had been sucked dry. Maybe they churned up some garbage and filters that were just changed are plugged again.
Maybe some kind of blockage.
Will do some testing tomorrow and might have to clean out some filters again.
Any specs on fuel pressure appreciated.
Simon C

mattyt1984

How did you test to see if it all of a sudden had low or no fuel pressure? Would be strange for lift pump to work for an hour then quit. I would suspect possible safety shutdown switch such as high temp.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Tested the unit more today. It was hard to bleed and died within 2 minutes once started. There was a lot of air in the secondary filter housing. So bit the bullet and made up a new temporary fuel line to run in a 5 Gallon Jug. It was still difficult to prime, am thinking that maybe will reseal the secondary filter housing as probably sucking air there. The other problem is that the return fuel has to go up 10 vertical feet to dump back into tank. This unit is new to the company that I contract to.
With new small tank and return running into a pail the unit was still hard to prime but once running accepted load and was good till I shut it down after 20 minutes.
As I said will be checking out secondary filter housing, and will run 1 more test out of a 45 gallon drum with return going into a separate tank. If it runs flawlessly, all the fuel lines will go into the garbage.
The unit was putting out constant 4psi., when it ran good.
May have to move tank down to ground level as 10 feet of head is about 4.2 psi to get it up there, and believe that it may be too much.
This unit was not running when purchased, so will see what I find out next.
For your info the fuel solenoid was still fully powered as the unit was dying from lack of fuel.
Will keep you folks posted.
Unit has 16000 HOURS and may need more work yet.
Simon C

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Changed them all out. Unit runs flawlessly on Jerry can, But still working on the rest. Have been sidelined to work on two other units, maybe later this week.
Simon C