• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 450 Winch Questions

Timberland

I have a Deere 450c (1980 I believe) that I'm looking to add a winch to. I found an older straight 450 I can buy the winch off of. Being the machine is 100 miles away and I cant compare the to machines side by side for match up is there anything I should know or look for to make sure it will work correctly on my machine? Reading the Deere manual it sounds as if there were 2 PTO shafts with different speeds available fro these machines. Anyway to tell the shafts apart or does shaft speed matter for a winch? Also, the manual shows a PTO engage lever down by the brake pedal. I don't believe my machine has this PTO engage lever. If mine doesn't have a PTO engage lever would the winch still be able to function without causing problems?

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Hello! I cant answer your specific questions but I can add some more info! I believe you are looking for a 3315 winch which also looks very similar to a 3325 winch which came on the 550s. From what I can remember, there is a simple push pull cable on the 3315's & 3325's. The farm 550 I run didnt have the lever on it when we got it. No idea why. Anyways, I was able to tracking down an aftermarket cable and level and made it work for our setup. Also, There was a collar i believe that connected the output shaft from the tractor to the winch input shaft, even if they aren't exactly the same, something should be able to make it work!

Timberland

Thanks redneckracin, I sent a request to the owner to try and provide a model number of the winch. Did your 550 have a PTO engage lever on it or is that of no concern with a winch?

hvy 1ton

These dozers didn't come with a PTO standard. It either had to be ordered as an option or field installed. From what I remember adding the PTO requires a few parts and getting pretty deep into the transmission. I can check my A service manual for specifics.

Reactions: DB2

Timberland

Great info on PTO. Looking through my manual it looked pretty in depth to add. My concern is that PTO is needed to operate the winch correctly but I'm getting the impression its not. I have run our families Deere 430c and it requires the PTO to be engaged or disengaged per winch use. Just trying to figure out if the winch will mount and operate properly before I buy it. Thanks for the great replies.

Timberland

In an effort to be more specific are dozer that are equipped with a winch supposed to have a disengage able PTO? I understand the shaft out the rear drives the winch pump. I'm just curious if it will damage the winch or dozer if it cant't be disengaged and turns constantly? Thanks again for the reply's

Welder Dave

How would you power a winch if you don't have a PTO? It would seem the PTO option would be able to turn on and off with a lever or cable of some sort.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
So the "pto" on the 550 we have is live all the time. I don't even know if there is a way to shut it off. From what I understand, the cable control lever directs hydraulic flow and either winches, brakes, or free spools.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
The JD 450C has a live PTO. And no, it won't hurt the winch or the tractor if the PTO isn't able to be disconnected.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't think bulldozer PTO has any shift out at the tractor end. PTO shaft runs full time. Disengage is something happens in the winch. If I recall that is controlled by a cable linkage.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Machines of this sort have parts breakdowns on line. Check part numbers of the two models in question.