• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 6359t

Mrktrauth30

Hi I need some help a 6359. I did an injection pump on it. Before I pulled the pump I looked for the 2 timing marks you line up normally and pull it but the mark on the rotor isn’t there so I did some research and asked around and read that the dm4 pump with the key way you can just use the mark that is on the outside of the pump housing and the mark on the cover just to advance or retard it. And now since I have it back in after being rebuilt it’s smoking white really bad no matter which way I turn the pump. Also I pulled it a tdc1 with both arms loose. I thought maybe with the pressure being better maybe one of the injectors is stuck so I got all new 6 injectors and still having the same issue. I’ve verified the timing gears are correct to its the injection gear is set for 6 and the cam line up with the tool. I just don’t know what else it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
The injection pump is set with both rockers loose on number 1, and with both valves in overlap on number 6 cylinder. When you are on the cylinders as stated , the exhaust valve of number 2 cylinder will be down as the travelling mate cylinder 5 will be 120 degrees before TDC compression stroke.
Take a picture of these instructions with your phone so you can read while looking at the valves on engine to verify. Hope it helps.
Simon C

Mrktrauth30

Sounds like you have the injector pump 180 degrees out of time. That means your injectors are firing at the top of the exhaust stroke of the engine.
I was thinking something similar so I got it back tdc1 with both rocker arms loose on cylinder 1 and pulled the pump and rotated the injection shaft one full turn and put it back and it didn’t help. But I looked around YouTube there’s a injection pump repair place that has a channel and he said 2 turn of the injection shaft equals 1 full turn of the engine so I’m not sure if that would matter. So if I have it right now at tdc1 which i do I should pull it now and rotate it to tdc6 and install it and see if that works. I guess couldn’t hurt to try.

Vetech63

4 stroke engines take 2 complete rounds (360 degrees per round x2) of rotation to complete one 4 stroke cycle per cylinder. The injector pump turns 1/2 the revolutions of the crankshaft. On a 6 cylinder engine, not knowing if you are on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder or where the pump firing for number 1 is, you have 23 ways of getting the pump out of time and only one way it’s right. TDC on number 1 cylinder and your injector pump firing on number 1 at that moment. I’m afraid you finding the pump timing correctly at this point is futile unless the pump timing mark is visible or pinned to be exactly accurate.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Why was the pump replaced? Did it run before removal?

Please post a photo of your injection pump.

Mrktrauth30

The injection pump is set with both rockers loose on number 1, and with both valves in overlap on number 6 cylinder. When you are on the cylinders as stated , the exhaust valve of number 2 cylinder will be down as the travelling mate cylinder 5 will be 120 degrees before TDC compression stroke.
Take a picture of these instructions with your phone so you can read while looking at the valves on engine to verify. Hope it helps.
Simon C
Yes that what it looks like to me. Like what you said.
Why was the pump replaced? Did it run before removal?

Please post a photo of your injection pump.
yeah it ran fine without a load on the gpu but as soon as you would put a load on it it would bog down I tried to adjust the throttle but it didn’t help so we did the injection pump.

Mrktrauth30

4 stroke engines take 2 complete rounds (360 degrees per round x2) of rotation to complete one 4 stroke cycle per cylinder. The injector pump turns 1/2 the revolutions of the crankshaft. On a 6 cylinder engine, not knowing if you are on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder or where the pump firing for number 1 is, you have 23 ways of getting the pump out of time and only one way it’s right. TDC on number 1 cylinder and your injector pump firing on number 1 at that moment. I’m afraid you finding the pump timing correctly at this point is futile unless the pump timing mark is visible or pinned to be exactly accurate.
Yeah I think my bring it back and tell them they have to put the line on the rotor for me so I know it’s set for tdc1. I have the Deere manual it says if you put it at tdc1 your line on the injection pump should line up behind the window. My problem was that there was no line on the rotor but I did some searching around and asking about it and read and was told that the ones with key way on the dm4 pump you just need to use the out side marks that are on the cover and injection pump. So I went ahead and pulled it out on tdc1. But obviously something is definitely wrong with the timing so I think the best I can do is have them put the line on the pump. The article I was reading was on Oregon fuel injection inc website but it’s a stanadyne manual but maybe it doesn’t matter on the pump but it matter on the motor.

Attachments

• IMG_5725.png
    IMG_5725.png
    752.4 KB · Views: 5

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
but as soon as you would put a load on it it would bog down
Not that it has anything to do with your current situation, but has the low pressure fuel delivery system been thoroughly check out before pulling the pump?

Does your pump have a triangular shaped inspection cover or a rectangular one? If I recall correctly, if it is triangular, there will not be any marks inside the pump. If the engine flywheel was pinned at TDC #1, then aligning the shaft key should be all that is necessary.