• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John deere 650j high oil pressure and sputtering

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Specs are 15psi at ide and 40psi at wide open
That would be with the oil hot , not just the water showing hot . There will be a lag . If you have a warning saying engine damage coming soon take it seriously , there could be a limiter affecting the revs. At best it could be a faulty gauge , at worst a spun big end or main bearing blocking flow . Hopefully the gauges you have paid for have stopped any damage

Btad

OK check the complete fuel system
Everything check good
But now the check service codes light is on
But there are no codes
Is there any other systems to check
And it has derated to ide only

Attachments

• 16840257691962065664669494541190.jpg
    16840257691962065664669494541190.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 16840258541531099957850856125213.jpg
    16840258541531099957850856125213.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Most likely, you will need diagnostic software to read the code. My money says it will be a 1076.00 Pump Control Valve Closure Too Long.
Specs are 15psi at ide and 40psi at wide open
Those specs are minimums. If you have the manual, it states in the procedure you could have as high as 85 psi @ full throttle. The procedure also states that to get an accurate oil pressure reading, the engine oil must reach 220*F.

We will worry about that later. Your bigger issue at the moment is the fuel issue.

Btad

Thank you all for keeping me from going down the rabbit hole on oil pressure
I think I might have figured it out
The eingen speed control
Is messing up
I was doing the old wiggle push and turn test
And the speed control was acting up
I would put pressure down on the nob
And it appears my problems would go away
I will pick up a new one tomorrow and let you all know for sure
Again thank

Btad

OK I replaced the speed dia
After a few minutes of running it set code f440 I can not find any information on it
But it didn't derate
But the sputtering turned in to a full stutter

I shut if off for about 30 seconds
And it rN like this

Should I check the fuel system again

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Did everyone give up on me
No. Some of us are busy, or take time off for vacations and do not always have the time to look at the forum daily. If you are in a hurry, then take the machine to your dealer or call road service. So, please be patient.

code f440
Engine Oil Pressure Input Voltage Low. Has nothing to do with the running issue. With the way that runs I would expect to see some F490 codes. Your serial indicates that your machine is an early J series, so the code reporting could be a little sketchy. If you put pressure (press on) on the outside of the ECU while it is running, does it change the way the engine runs? Can you see the part number of the ECU?

Fuel vent clean? Fuel return line clear?

Did you test your fuel pressure while running at the fitting shown below? If your fuel pressure is good at idle and high idle, it could be either the fuel injection pump or the ECU. If your fuel pressure is good at idle (good being 5 psi), drops at high idle, and rebounds quickly back to 5 psi when back to idle, you could either have a supply issue or have a fuel injection pump issue. If your fuel pressure is low, or goes low and slow to rebound or not rebound at all, then you have a fuel supply issue. Someone with diagnostic software (Service Advisor) and a fuel gauge could answer this question fairly rapidly.

You could also measure the fuel return from the injection pump. Idle spec is 20 oz/min max, high idle spec is 24 oz/min max. Anything in excess of that is an issue.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 5.59.15 AM.png

Last edited:

Btad

I will check all that stuff And report back later today
I am looking at getting a service advisor
Or have a tech come out to check it out i think i am almost at that point
And sorry for getting inpatient not in a rush just getting mad at my self that I can't figure it out
i normally can especially with all the great help from everyone here
Sorry and thanks

Btad

No. Some of us are busy, or take time off for vacations and do not always have the time to look at the forum daily. If you are in a hurry, then take the machine to your dealer or call road service. So, please be patient.

Engine Oil Pressure Input Voltage Low. Has nothing to do with the running issue. With the way that runs I would expect to see some F490 codes. Your serial indicates that your machine is an early J series, so the code reporting could be a little sketchy. If you put pressure (press on) on the outside of the ECU while it is running, does it change the way the engine runs? Can you see the part number of the ECU?

Fuel vent clean? Fuel return line clear?

Did you test your fuel pressure while running at the fitting shown below? If your fuel pressure is good at idle and high idle, it could be either the fuel injection pump or the ECU. If your fuel pressure is good at idle (good being 5 psi), drops at high idle, and rebounds quickly back to 5 psi when back to idle, you could either have a supply issue or have a fuel injection pump issue. If your fuel pressure is low, or goes low and slow to rebound or not rebound at all, then you have a fuel supply issue. Someone with diagnostic software (Service Advisor) and a fuel gauge could answer this question fairly rapidly.

You could also measure the fuel return from the injection pump. Idle spec is 20 oz/min max, high idle spec is 24 oz/min max. Anything in excess of that is an issue.

View attachment 286264
Sorry for the major delay just got my dad home from the hospital he had a really bad fall
So I am back on it today will report findings later today

Btad

OK In between rain today
I checked fuel pressure
Not running using the hand prim pump
6 psi and holds good
On start up pressure drops to about 1 psi at idle
And goes negative at high speed
So I got a 5 gallon can of disel and hooked it up to the fuel pump inlet
It made no difference
So I put a electric fuel pump between the gas can and fuel pump and it helped a little kept it from going negative
Mind you the electric pump is a small one
3 psi
I can check fuel return tomorrow if still needed
Any thoughts
And thanks again to all of you Master techs

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Was the fuel filter changed? A drop to 1 psi at idle and negative off idle tells me you either have a restriction in the suction side, plugged fuel filter (if you are measuring where I said to), debris in the fuel filter fittings or filter head, or a bad transfer pump. The fuel pressure issue will obviously need to be addressed first.

Last edited:

Btad

Yes it is a new fuel filter
It appears to have a high fuel flow through it
I took the fuel filter head apart after Nige
Suggested it on the 13th and went through the whole fuel system
Just for the he## of it i am going to put a new one on today
Is there any reason to check the return fuel flow at this time
Or just replace the lift pump
And thanks

Btad

New pump no change
But I am almost positive I found the problem
The return line on the injection pump has a pressure regalator in it
I pulled it and tested it and guess what it
Would not even hold 1/2 psi
Going to pick up a new one tomorrow
Will let you all know if it works

Btad

OK so I went to diesel fuel injection service
Talk with a old tech he said he has Talk with the pump manufacturer several times over the years and this pump just needs fuel pressure does not mater as long as it is not starved
He said after listening to my video he said pump or computer
So I am going to pull the pump tomorrow and have it tested $175 to test it
I did replace the regalator it did help with fuel pressure Not bu it did not help the running
So I will let you know what I find out in a few days
Any thing special I need to know about removing the pump
Thanks

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Any thing special I need to know about removing the pump
Yes, there are two timing pins that need to be installed before removing the pump. One in the flywheel housing to set the engine to TDC (must be #1 cyl TDC) and one in the injection pump. They have to be installed for installing the new pump as well.