• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John deere hlr transmission adjustment

orangepeanut

I recently purchased a 1970 john deere 450 loader. The steering clutches were shot and have been replaced, i finally put it to work but after about an hour i started loosing reverse. High range was also an issue as well. I have noticed once i loose high range if i press the clutch about a half inch or so it will start to move again. As long as im pushing the clutch in it seems fine. Also has a rattle or chatter in high range. Im waiting on a manual but in the mean time was wondering if anyone could tell me how to adjust or if im wasting my time and need to rebuild the trans. Ive heard alot of different things that could be wrong and im not sure what to think. Also if anyone knows a mechanic that is good on these older john deere machines in upstate South Carolina and could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Your issue is a clutch adjustment (hydraulic clutch adjustment that is). You will need the manual. It is a little tough to explain.

orangepeanut

Thanks for the reply. Manual should be here in a few days. I ran the machine for around 2 hours yesterday. Engine temp ran a constant 170 but once it got up there the reverse was almost gone. Seems as if i can tap the clutch pedal and find that spot it grabs. The only thing that has me worried it the rattle/ chatter im hearing in high range.