• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere Part Number Prefixes

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Just wondering if there is anything to be learned from JD part numbers. More common parts like filters, gaskets, sometimes alternators start with RE or sometimes R. A fuel injection pump reman started with SE. Part of a HPCR pump started with DZ. Any rhyme or reason to this?

Diesel Dave

Apart from SE numbers, I never did figure out the Deere parts number system.
DZ prefixes replaced a LOT of old familiar numbers to learn all over again …eye roll .

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Thanks. I guess I figured those letters and numbers looked like they should mean something.

Any rhyme or reason to engine serial numbers and model numbers as well? I learned somewhere that TF in a model number is regular turbo, HF is TA, came across one the other day that was just a T. And they also have different serial prefixes, are they kind of like Cat that it means general arrangement?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Thanks for that - it is not exactly a complete explanation of all the years/possibilities but it gets me most of what I think I need to determine patterns and such.