• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard/White Marker Worth a Hoot?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have been looking for a marker that is worth anything to write on black surfaces, etc. in legible white (or other light color).

2 types I have been fighting found at the parts house:

1. Has a small metal tip that pushes in a tiny bit and paint comes out. If writing on a vertical surface the paint runs like a horror movie
2. Has a tip like a fat marker that you are supposed to punch a bunch of times to get paint flowing and writes pretty good the first time, but then runs out and has to be re-tapped on something you don't mind getting paint on again. Second time you use it the paint is all dried and it barely works.

Is there something better out there?

tpitt

Occupation
Heavy fire equip operator
I have been looking for a marker that is worth anything to write on black surfaces, etc. in legible white (or other light color).

2 types I have been fighting found at the parts house:

1. Has a small metal tip that pushes in a tiny bit and paint comes out. If writing on a vertical surface the paint runs like a horror movie
2. Has a tip like a fat marker that you are supposed to punch a bunch of times to get paint flowing and writes pretty good the first time, but then runs out and has to be re-tapped on something you don't mind getting paint on again. Second time you use it the paint is all dried and it barely works.

Is there something better out there?
I use light gray permanent markers. They work well

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Nige, I think that's the second one that Birken was talking about. I use them too, but I find they do dry out all too soon. So then you tap the felt tip, and white paint runs everywhere!

There must be a huge financial reward waiting for the guy who can produce a good white paint marker that doesn't dry out, doesn't run everywhere, and which works every time you pick it up!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yes, Nige's is the one we were using on Tuesday, took 10 minutes to write on one filter tapping it on the tire (tyre) of the truck to get it to run, cutting it with a knife, spraying with solvent, etc. Looks unprofessional when your writing peters out to nothing and looks like a 4 year old did it

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I use the #2 type quite often. I just purchase a bulk amount of the Chinese type markers from Ebay that are super cheap and come in multiple colors. They seem to work just as well as the name brand stuff but are cheap enough to trash when they become too frustrating to continue working. I just make it a habit to punch down on the tip momentarily every few letters and keep the paint flowing. I always have some on the truck and around the shop. Best thing ever for marking filters and oil changes.

JD955SC

I use a markal set of three. They are all frustrating but the markals are the best I’ve tried so far

The sharpie brand and many others such as the ones sold in the craft section of Walmart or hobby lobby are absolute crap.

Labparamour

I’ll have to investigate the other suggestions.
I’ve used the sharpies to mark metal and oil filters and air filters.
The tips can pick up crap or mush out but the ink has held up well for my needs.
I have also used tire crayons for some stuff.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I also use grease pens for a lot of stuff if that I don't worry about rubbing the writing off easily. Best used on smooth surfaces.

ozarkag

Whiteout correction pens work surprisingly good, Presto jumbo correction pen
Junkyard up the road uses these, stays visible for years