• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just a question

Bu1cko

Occupation
Firefighter, Work Part time for a roads dept
Well heres what i have about 200 acres of mixed hardwoods and about 50 acres of junkie virginia pine in western maryland. Most of the hardwoods were select cut about 10 yrs ago. Where we select cut we are having a prob with mostly maples coming back and they are at about 10" diameter now. My question is what should be done about them? Would they be marketable as pulpwood? What about the virginia pines? Also for future I have the ability to cut and remove logs would it before more profitable to log them and have them out of the woods and try to sell the logs compared to having a logger come in? My only prob is not having a way to haul the logs?

mailtrain

Occupation
retired crane oper,heavy equip,logger
Hi Buciko;

200 acres is a good sized wood lot.If you did a selective cut then what was left is what you will harvest the next time. As for Maple it is a good tree for lumber.A 10" tree is a good start for future lumber in about 5 more years.Without seeing the acreage that the trees are on it would be hard to advise you on what to do. If you have a forester that could look at it,might be the best thing. Most state DEC,s have programs for landowners. A good forest management program would be what I would do.

As for the pine I'm not familiar with that type.A pic would help a little.
Hope this helped a little.

Mailtrain