• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just bought a D39P-1

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Whoo-hoo :drinkup Just won the bid on Iron Planet for a 1999 Komatsu D39P-1 with 1200 hours and a nice, nice, nice U/C. My first dozer! The starting bid on it was $7k and I wasn't going to bid over 16,500 .. wanted the machine so I went up to $20k (which was going to to be the absolute limit for us!)

John

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
Those are pretty decent little dozers and push hard..... love the way the blade angles to the extreme that makes you think that you're running a motorgrader.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Love to! Iron Planet has moved the listing from being active to somewhere else and I can't find it right now, I'll keep poking around.

The dozer attracted I think 23 bids, so I wasn't the only one interested (unfortunately!!)

Just got a transportation quote of $2500 for a roll-on roll-off partial load of 1300 miles. Right now I'm in the middle of messing with tax exemption forms with Iron Planet.

So far the entire process has been very easy, I hope it stays that way.

John

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Pictures

And many thanks to QuikTrax for looking at the pictures pre-purchase!! Here is the dozer I bought - there are bunches of pictures, so ya'll can have a look-see. (I think the link is public and not restricted to my account.)

I wanted rippers, but came to the conclusion finding a nice machine with in my price range wasn't going to happen. I wasn't thrilled with the 24" tracks (wanted 18"), but after chatting with the Komatsu shop in San Antonio, I felt much better after he said most ranchers with the LGP growsers simply cut them down to size. He said the only difference between the D39E-1 and the D39P-1 was strictly the width of the pads.

The service guy spoke highly of the model and said it's easy to work on and nothing fancy about the machine (it's an old International model basically.)
I was a little concerned the dozer had a fairly new paint job - the Komatsu guy said they have seen dozers come in that were buckets of rust (he mentioned Florida in particular) and to look closely at the U/C for rust. From what I could tell, the U/C doesn't look like it was a pile of rust. Bolt heads and nuts seemed to have nice flat sides. I must have stared at those pictures for hours :bash over a few day period.

I have transportation set up and the wire xfer should happen tomorrow. :usa IronPlanet seems to really have their stuff together, when you call on the phone you get to talk to somebody almost right away and you can understand them!

Thanks to everybody for answering lots of questions and being patient with this dozer newbie.

John

d9gdon

Komatsu Dozer

Congrats on your first dozer. It gets in your blood.

I ran one of these a little and thought they were a very good dozer.

I don't have enough good things to say about Iron Planet, I've bought a D8R from Utah, a water truck and pickup from the Texas panhandle, street sweeper from Florida, box blade from Corpus Christi, and attachments from all over the US. Can't say enough good things about 'em. Their inspectors must've been owner operators in the past, they don't let much get past.

I've got an operator that swears by Komatsu dozers, they must be pretty good. He's a very good operator and has a lot of time on them.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Congrats, looks like a sweet machine. What kinda weight/power does she have?

Hope it works out great for you.

ken

topdigger

Occupation
excavation buisness owner
congrats , you will like that size machine i have an case 850G and have ran the komatsu like you bought very nice machine!

boone

Very Nice. Looks like Iron Planet covers every angle on the pictures. Hope you get years of good service!