• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kenworth or Mack

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Model and application would really help. A T-680 KW would make a terrible dump truck vs a Granite. But a T-800 would outshine an Anthem.

crane operator

For any kind of real advice, just post a picture of each truck, or even better, a link to each truck where it is for sale. The more info the better.

Year, miles, engine trans, rear ratio, capacity and suspension style. Box length height and legal capacity in your state

And then what you are doing with it, on-site, commercial delivery, trailering equipment.

Truck Shop

Harley-Honda--Chevy-Ford--New York Steak or Ribeye,, Everyone has a opinion and
their own preference.
All trucks break at some point, some less than others, most opinions are east coast
west coast. The one real factor is service ability, how many dealers in that area.
Age, If it's Mack it's more than likely all Mack, Kenworth is more of a popular component
manufacture to those spec's.
Buying b*****d usually doesn't work well, having equipment that has some accessibility
for repairs is a big factor---No manufacture has built a truck with accessibility since
This thread was probably AI, lol.

Last edited:

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
My preference is Mack over the KW any day. Can’t give you a reason other than I have and like Mack’s.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
My preference is Mack over the KW any day. Can’t give you a reason other than I have and like Mack’s.
I too prefer Macks mainly be cause 90% of the trucks I worked on were Macks, company owned a Mack dealership at on time! Also the Macks the company had were 100% Mack other than the dump bodies that is. Not something assembled out of a catalog of truck parts from various manufactures.

Sure some components like brake valves, compressors and starters and such were not Mack built, but major things like engine, transmissions, axles, frame and cab were all Mack so no hunting around to figure out who made what and what modifications were done to adapt them to work.

Ran into those problems with some of the IH/Hough loaders. One model of a loader might have up to three different engines available like IH/Detroit/Cummins. Just trying to source a rear seal orings for flywheel housing on an 855 Cummins could get people pointing fingers at each other claiming "not our parts"!

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
They are all nice when they are new . . . otherwise the best truck is the one a fellow manages to get his hands on with whatever money he could scrape up.

There wasn't much money at the time so the best dump truck for me wound up being an old Ford . . . :rolleyes: