• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kenworth T440 truck with Tier 4 Cummins - converstion?

Dimonsof

Occupation
Heavy equipment maintenance
Hi everybody.
We purchased (I would say by huge mistake, but as usual in the beginning of any project no time to wait and management just purchasing whatever available) Summit Kenworth T440 Flatbed Crane Truck (13 tonne). It has Cummins ISL9 (s/# 73303161) engine which is Tier 4. The problem is - we are in West Africa, the diesel fuel is sh@t here. :mad:
I know it would be illegal in US to convert Tier 4 to Tier 3 or Tier 2, but like I said - we are in different location and this truck will stay in Mali for the rest of it's life (which obviously not be long...) Local Cummins dealer is no help :Banghead
Does anybody knows anything about where we could get information on downgrade kit (I heard Cummins makes them?) for our engine? Have anybody faced same problem before?
Any information or advice would appreciate.

Thanks,
Dima

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
We have several ISC/ISL trucks in the same situation as you. Ours aren't licenced to go on the public roads. They never go fast enough to go into regen so they have become totally undependable money pits. The Cummins dealers are no help at all, they won't even talk about "making changes". However, most independent diesel shops will do what is known as an "off-road" conversion. They remove the exhaust filters, EGR system, and reprogram the computer to operate without all those things. Works great.

There are also places you can send your truck's computer to be reprogrammed, and then they'll send it back to you. A google search should turn up something.

Dimonsof

Occupation
Heavy equipment maintenance
However, most independent diesel shops will do what is known as an "off-road" conversion. They remove the exhaust filters, EGR system, and reprogram the computer to operate without all those things. Works great.

There are also places you can send your truck's computer to be reprogrammed, and then they'll send it back to you. A google search should turn up something.

Yes, this is what we would like to do, but we are in the middle of nowhere, West Africa is barely leaving the stone age era...:Banghead
We had 725C service truck which was purchased in a hurry with Tier 4 and later (after 1500 hrs) we had to replace engine, because CAT completely refused to re-programm ECM.

If we could, for example, purchase re-flash file that can change ECM "thinking" and we would remove all the TIER 4 components from the engine.

Thanks,
Dima