• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kids loseing the ability talk on the phone

Old Doug

We have a boy working at the shop half a day and going to school half a day. We had him awnser the phone some and he had a problem talking to people then one day we had him go to town and air a tire up. He calls back to the shop and trys to tell me the core is stuck in the cap. What?? we went around and around. One of the other guys said he would go and find out what was wrong. What happen was the end of the stem had broke off even with the cap.I couldnt figure out what was the deal with him and the phone tell a women told me she had a kid on the same work program that couldnt speak on a phone.She made up abunch of stuff were he had to make alot of calls and it realy helped him out.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Social media, texting, email etc has really set certain age groups back in their social skills. Seems to me a lot of parents also have their heads so far up their posterior that they don’t even see it and take appropriate measures to heaven forbid teach their kids some life lessons let alone simple skills.

A very small portion may actually have a little developmental issue or like I was when younger....I just didn’t want to! Haha

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
My co worker recently told me his child a high school graduate getting a scholarship could not make change. "Why should I, I swipe the card? "
I also heard they dont teach cursive writing any longer. attachment-6.jpeg

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
LOL, yeah I see it all the time, especially with making change... I like to mess with em sometimes and give then an extra dime or two!! that really throws em' off ;)

My co worker recently told me his child a high school graduate getting a scholarship could not make change. "Why should I, I swipe the card? "
I also heard they dont teach cursive writing any longer. View attachment 189189

Wes J

We have a boy working at the shop half a day and going to school half a day. We had him awnser the phone some and he had a problem talking to people then one day we had him go to town and air a tire up. He calls back to the shop and trys to tell me the core is stuck in the cap. What?? we went around and around. One of the other guys said he would go and find out what was wrong. What happen was the end of the stem had broke off even with the cap.I couldnt figure out what was the deal with him and the phone tell a women told me she had a kid on the same work program that couldnt speak on a phone.She made up abunch of stuff were he had to make alot of calls and it realy helped him out.

I don't know my man. Have you really read what you just posted, or any of your other posts? They are barely comprehensible. Run on sentences, tons of spelling errors, missing punctuation and capitalization, etc. Try the carriage return button once.

As the saying goes, communication is not a skill, it's the skill.

I'm probably considered a "kid" by most here, but I don't see this as a generational issue.

JD955SC

I can talk on the phone just fine but I hate it, and phones suck for talking these days.

Text and email also has a nice record of “no this is what we told you and you replied to it”

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Agreed that having a record of things is good in certain potentially unwanted scenarios. That being said it would be nice if we all had a pleasant phone voice and the demeanor to go along with it.

I, for one, wouldn’t look near as intelligent without this “smart” phone fixing my grammatical errors. I suppose face to face or talking on the phone we might be perfectly articulate but writing maybe not so much.

Having talked to Doug on the phone numerous occasions I assure y’all he’s wonderfully articulate!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The problem here is you just can't get the tone that someone is speaking in when they're texting or typing. You can be typing quite angrily and it might sound quite pleasant when they read it back to themselves

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The problem here is you just can't get the tone that someone is speaking in when they're texting or typing. You can be typing quite angrily and it might sound quite pleasant when they read it back to themselves

Absolutely. More than one fight I’ve had over two marriages was exacerbated by misunderstood texts!

Shimmy1

I don't know my man. Have you really read what you just posted, or any of your other posts? They are barely comprehensible. Run on sentences, tons of spelling errors, missing punctuation and capitalization, etc. Try the carriage return button once.

As the saying goes, communication is not a skill, it's the skill.

I'm probably considered a "kid" by most here, but I don't see this as a generational issue.
This post was unnecessary, IMO. And, I'll stop right there.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Guy emails his neighbor.
I been using your wife, been using it for years. When your gone , I'm on your wife. Hit it on the weekend, in the evening, every chance I get. I've been made aware of how wrong it is. I'm trying to make amends. I'm willing to pay whatever you think it was worth. I've been on your wife since I moved in. Let me know what you think is fair.
He sees that the neighbor kicked his wife out in the front lawn and was screaming at her. He walks over and asks what happened? The neighbor looks at him like he's gonna kill him. You use my wife and have the nerve to ask what's wrong? Your wife, what are you talking about. The neighbor showed him his phone. Oh my God, dude, I meant wifi. Autocorrect must have changed it. Sorry

Vetech63

Don't get me started on the texting and social media. I have 4 kids between 28-36 that will text a 30 minute conversation that would take 1 minute by phone call. I will text them 1 or 2 sentences, after that I'm ringing their phone. If they don't answer it, I will not leave a message and assume it wasn't important. Its even worse in business, numerous calls to people and no response...…..but they will email me. Makes no sense whatsoever.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I went to a "Gender Reveal" party w/ the wife.. That's where these DAM KIDS reveal the gender of the baby to the spouse.. It was actually pretty kool.. but worthless at the same time..
ALL the ADULTS were laughing, mingling & having a GREAT time..
ALL their 20 something friends were in the corner "playing" on their phones..
WHY the hell did they even come.??

Old Doug

Wes J you didnt say any thing that i dont know. The computer for me isnt something i have been able to learn and get better at like mechanic work, welding, being a machinest, driveing a truck or moveing dirt. I didnt like school some of it was tuff for me. I may have hit a nerve with you i have worked with several kids or guys that were alot younger than me. I know how it was to be treated like i didnt know any thing and i try not to treat young guys this way.I never made fun of him about the valve steam and it hasnt been talked about in the shop agin. The first week i had him help me change out a truck tire while the rim was on the truck. I ask him if he had done this before or saw it done he said he hadnt. We were puting it back on i was tapping it back on with a hammer and he tryed to pry it on witch wouldnt work because theres no room to swing a tire iron i said that wouldnt work and was going to tell him why but before i could he said maybe you dont know what your doing. I some how held it in it wasnt going to do any good to tell him i was fixing truck tires before his grandpaw could drive a truck.He has natural talent and has learned what he knows on his own. I dont think any one has tryed to teach him any thing about mechanic work and he has a hard time figureing out that there may be some one that has been there and done that before. At first i thought i dont know if he will work out but he has started to trust us and listen to us. I know he is learning and i dont want him to hate working with us.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Yer a better man than I. Kid gets lippy, he gets corrected. Disrespect your elders, first time, free explanation of why you don't. Second time, well, there shouldn't be a next time. I have no patience for that. I ain't that old . I owe everything I know and am to the old timers that took a couple minutes out of their days to teach some punk all those years ago.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
You have to look at it from the kid's perspective, though, for every old timer full of awesome tips and tricks there is another one full of wives tales, bad and lazy attitude . He may not have figured out that you are the former.

But one thing he does need to figure out is not to pop off with wise cracks like that. If somebody is telling you to do it the hard way and you know a better way best to keep your mouth shut and either do it his way while he is watching you or just let him see your way work better [if he doesn't get upset by it] but a sharp word never helped anything, ever.

AzIron

As a young guy under 30 I hear from older guys that my generation is garbage and yes there are worthless people in my generation but there is also a lot of good ones that no one wants to put the effort in on

It takes a lot of patience to work with someone green most of the young guys now are really green because no one has ever taught them anything so they dont realize there is so much to learn and the ones coming out of tech school were told at school they are now journey man mechanics because they went to tech school and were so overwhelmed by being taught in depth systems that they missed the basics and therefore can't apply the technical knowledge because they dont know how

I know if the master mechanic that worked for my dad when I was growing up was not as patient as he was I would be no were near what i am today cause he was the one that got it through my head to shut up

All I can really say is good for you Doug the world needs all this knowledge passed on cause none of us got to this level without some guidance on more than one level

Knepptune

For you all you older guys here, the only thing I have to add is that you guys raised us. It’s your fault.

Merry Christmas to all.