• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco pressure test

cooberb78

Occupation
automotive technician
Ok fellas I know my wording won't be right I am pressure testing the pilot pressure on my sk120 I have 500 psi coming from pilot pump going to control on off solenoid under cab between safety on off solenoid and t-block that feeds both levers I'm losing 150 pounds I'm guessing possible collapsed hose between left control stick and swing motor I dropped from 350 psi to 200 psi at swing motor if I am reading book correctly I should have same pilot pressure at swing motor as I do at pilot pump any suggestions thank you

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
The inlet fitting at the block were your safety solenoid is should have a screen in it. Also the inlet fitting of both hyd control handles. You can remove these and check for debris. wes

cooberb78

Occupation
automotive technician
Yes sir you are correct there are two screens on each side of block they are both clean but the hose going between the safety solenoid valve and the T block doesn't feel right is there a possibility that it is collapsing internally

cooberb78

Occupation
automotive technician
Should the fittings with the screens have a measurable pressure drop or should it be the same on each side

lantraxco

One thing to keep in mind, you only have pressure drop when flow exists, so some oil is going somewhere when you are testing. If the oil leaking off to the tank drain is excessive you will get severe pressure drops from otherwise normal restrictions in the plumbing. Try disconnecting each controller in turn see if you get variations in the pressure readings?

cooberb78

Occupation
automotive technician
OK lantraxco your dealing with a green horn here in the excavator and hydraulic world. I don't understand what you mean when you say unhook controller. I need to know what and where to test and what I should see.
If I am getting a grasp on this everything from my pilot pump to the valves in the two operating levers should have the same pressure with levers in neutral and saftey lever in gear(operation mode at rest). Kinda like putting your finger over a garden hose.

What I don't understand also is I have 500psi coming out of my saftey solenoid and 18inches away I only have 350psi coming out of the block that feeds the two controller levers and the only thing that is in between is a hose and a fitting with a screen.

I ordered a new hose and will install it tomorrow. Now that I have had another week to study the service info I will test again starting at pilot pump and post results again to make sure what I am posting is correct.
Thank you everyone

lantraxco

You got it, with everything in neutral you should see the same pressure everywhere. There is always some internal leakage draining off to tank, but even with all functions activated the leakage should be low enough and the pilot pump flow high enough that pressure stays up and some oil will flow across the pilot pressure regulator (relief?) valve.

You would have to check the manual for activation pressures at the actual valve spools, the joystick capsules and plungers are set to a range and typically won't send full pressure to the spools.

It sounds like with that much pressure loss in that short a distance that you either have a severe restriction in the hose or fitting, or one of the controllers is bypassing way too much oil internally. That's what I meant by blocking something off, starting at the tee block, block one of the lines going to a joystick off and see if your pressure comes up properly. If not try the other joystick, block that pressure line off. Of course if you have a restriction in that short hose the problem is all there I would think.

Do the foot pedals for the track controls also hook into that tee block?

cooberb78

Occupation
automotive technician
No sir they are cable operated to the bottom of the main valve body.
My little machine has multiple little issues that I'm am trying to signal out and fix, but from my experience working on automobiles I just have a gut feeling that if and when II find a problem it is going to be a root cause of more than one thing.
Also something to think on. I replaced the brake release valve in the side of the swing motor cause a t-fitting and the threads in the block were stripped. After replacing that my arm started pulling in on its own with enough power to dig with bucket about 6to9 inches in ground. I think I fixed a problem and cause a internal leak or bypassing fluid to show up but have no idea how to trace it down

cooberb78

Occupation
automotive technician
OK from my t block under the cab I have a t feeding left stick and brake release valve on side of swing motor. At brake release valve line t's again and goes to bottom of main valve body. If I unhook line feeding brake release valve arm quits moving in on its own and pilot pressure is corrected.
Every thing I look at in manual says the line that is going from brake release valve to main valve should hook in to PS port at top of valve body. But it looks to be going into PBa port under valve body.
Is it hook up wrong or is there a problem in main valve body.

cooberb78

Occupation
automotive technician
OK all after studying manual for about three hours now I think what I got is two lines swapped at my brake release valve. I will check tomorrow and update everyone.
Why do self inflicted wounds hurt so much more?

lantraxco

I'll be curious to see if that's actually the problem.

Self-inflicted wounds don't hurt, it's the angry guy kicking you in the butt (yourself) for it that makes it take so long to heal from. :(

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
OK from my t block under the cab I have a t feeding left stick and brake release valve on side of swing motor. At brake release valve line t's again and goes to bottom of main valve body. If I unhook line feeding brake release valve arm quits moving in on its own and pilot pressure is corrected.
Every thing I look at in manual says the line that is going from brake release valve to main valve should hook in to PS port at top of valve body. But it looks to be going into PBa port under valve body.
Is it hook up wrong or is there a problem in main valve body.

I bet it's hooked up correctly. When you changed the tee fitting at the swing brake did you notice a small steel ball inside of that fitting? If it's missing your arm will come in every time you swing. Kobelco engineers release the swing brake when arming in in case of bank caveins. they keep the pilot oil separate with that small shuttle ball. If it's not there you need it . wes

cooberb78

Occupation
automotive technician
Hey guys good news and bad news. Good news is swapping two of the lines at swing brake valve worked we are swinging good and arm quit drifting in. Bad news is it was self inflicted cause I crossed lines when replacing valve. Same on me lesson learned when you only get the weekend to work on stuff mark it when you take it apart.

Well anyway thanks all for your help and God bless. On to the tracking problems now.