• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco Sk80CS hydraulic thumb options

AdamsExcavating

hey guys, we're looking at getting a hydraulic thumb for our mid sized excavator. (SK80CS). I really like the rockland BT-H thumbs, but got a price from them, and was too over priced for me. I'm looking for something that folds up as tight as possible to the stick, for close quarter work. Besides fabricating something, what are some other options that others have used? Any help is, as always, appreciated. Thanks!

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
I have a 2005 NH EH80 CS, which is really a Kobelco SK80 CS. I bought it slightly used, & it came with a Geith stick-mounted hydraulic thumb.
View attachment 113056

The end of the thumb was too narrow to fit on either side of the boom, & so it could hit the boom when the arm was all the way in & the thumb was partially open. So, I had a couple of inches cut off the end, & a wider extension fabricated.
View attachment 113057

But because the original thumb mounting was off a little, this error is magnified at the end of the extension to the point that the extension doesn't fit uniformly up along each side of the boom.
View attachment 113058

So, come spring I will attempt to bend the thumb a little so that I get the desired clearance. If anything, I may have made the extension longer than I needed, but better too long than too short. Here is a pic of how the extended thumb looks vs. my bucket tip.
View attachment 113059

Otherwise, I love my 80 excavator. Incidentally, I have a 24" pin-on bucket for sale. Here is a link...https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?34766-Excavator-Bucket-24-quot-Werk-Brau&highlight=werk-brau

Would you be interesrted, or know of anyone who might be??

JGibson

I had a 80cs for a little while with a geith thumb, but I would look at PSM

AdamsExcavating

stumpywally, your pics aren't showing up, could you try and repost? I'm still looking and would like to purchase something soon.

StumpyWally

Occupation
AdamsExcavating...Sorry about the pics not showing...don't know what happened...here they are again:

Attachments

• Geith Easi-Klamp 002.jpg
    Geith Easi-Klamp 002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Geith Easi-Klamp Extended 002.jpg
    Geith Easi-Klamp Extended 002.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 242
  • Geith Easi-Klamp Extended 008.jpg
    Geith Easi-Klamp Extended 008.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Geith Easi-Klamp Extended 004.jpg
    Geith Easi-Klamp Extended 004.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 293

AdamsExcavating

Got any more pics? and what are the dimentions of the thumb before and after? I got quoted $2,600 for an 8" x 42"

StumpyWally

Occupation
AdamsExcavating...Original thumb was a Geith HK082R042, so it was 8" wide by a 42" tip radius. Adding the extensions increased the thumb tip radius to about 52", & the extensions are spaced about 16" center-to-center.

My bucket tip radius is about 42". As you can see from the previous photos, the thumb extensions reach well past the bucket tip, but better too long than too short. The extra length helps make up for the lack of full 180 degree rotation of the thumb, as in a progressive linkage thumb.

Here is a pic of the extended thumb before I painted it.

Attachments

• Geith Easi-Klamp Extended 001.jpg
    Geith Easi-Klamp Extended 001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 158