• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Koehring Feller forwarder?

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
C06B8406-3DE0-401C-9861-5C1F243D1D22.jpeg This old girl sits at the entrance to a large logging company. I finally stopped to snap a picture yesterday. Don’t know much about them but it’s massive and it’s obviously been restored. I’ve seen a couple of YouTube videos with these machines. I’m thinking late 70s into the 80s? The cab reminds me of a timberjack. Seems like the forwarder half would get filled up quickly with tree length wood that still has it limbs. You guys ever seen any of them?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have a book called tracks in the forest that describe a Koehring short wood harvester in the 70s that looks like that machine. I'm guessing that was a northeast type of machine handling smaller trees. There was lots of old growth on this side of the continent and feller bunchers were just starting to be experimented with in the early to mid eighties. The first machines I have experience with here were Drotts using a shovel front and pincher jaws and then screw type cutter saws.