• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatso HM300 Art. Truck: pros and cons???

profrooky

Occupation
Professor
Hi: We are looking at purchasing an older Komatsu 30 ton articulated truck to use in an Operator school. It won't see a lot of hours/year and fairly light duty. Just looking for any feedback from owner, Techs or operators that have experience with these trucks. Positive or negative.

Thanks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Look for leaks on the planet gear pins on each end of each axle. Komatsu doesn't use the usual cover and the pins are sealed with O ring that leak externally. That is the biggest issue I've seen with them so far.

DJK

I haven't seen anything overly common with them, other than what john c stated.. I personally haven't run one, I've moved them around for repair purpose but that's about it, however operators I talk to like them better than same vintage of competition due to ride quality.

max s

The tranny's oil is used to cool down the wet disc brakes on the front and rear axle.Problem is, when the o-ring of the duocone seal in the brake housing fail, the tranny's oil go into the planetary gear case and sometimes it's enough to make the transmission pump to cavitate, which will burn out shortly after that.
Also, there is no brake at all on the rear axle, so the tiny drive shaft splines (slip joint) worn out fast.

profrooky

Occupation
Professor
Thanks for the heads up
Heard it might have been in a flood
Makes me wonder what the wiring is like
Going to check it out next week