• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu -5 motor graders

Hi
Has anyone seen or got any photographs of Komatsu's new -5 motor graders?
The Komatsu au website shows specs for the GD555-5 and GD655-5 with a new hexangular cab which i imagine is similar to a Caterpillar M series.
Just courious to see what they are like.
We dont have Komatsu graders in the UK for whatever reasons?
It may be low volume sales dont warrant importing and supporting them.

schuiver

Here a picture of Komatsu and one of the inside, photos come from photostp.free.fr.

Attachments

• gd6555.jpg
    gd6555.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 3,195
  • image2-cc6652d115.jpg
    image2-cc6652d115.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,727

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
looks interesting, kinda get a little of both worlds, visability of the cat and still get the levers. i would like to see more.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Years ago there was one in a fleet I maintained for a coal mine. The thing would have been OK for grading the sides of roads but for any real work it fell apart all the time.

I've never recommended anybody purchase one since.

Just an opinion.

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
:cool:Nice lookin grader, real nice view, interestin to see how long they hold up. Worked with a graderman who said the hyds. are faster than cat or deere,(not a 5) don't know first hand, only ever ran cat (98%) deere (2%) Be interestin to try one out.:drinkup Bob aka ZZ

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Vision +

Reminds me of when John Deere tractors changed to new models from the old 4800 series to 8400. You couldn't complain about blind spots anymore ;)
A real human terrarium or fish bowl cab :D

Partsdude

Years ago there was one in a fleet I maintained for a coal mine. The thing would have been OK for grading the sides of roads but for any real work it fell apart all the time.

I've never recommended anybody purchase one since.

Just an opinion.

And I have just the opposite story - a customer of mine had 3 that they ran on a regular road maintenance contract. They traded them in at 30000hrs plus, and all they ever had to do on them was maintenance items. I'm sure that grading municipal roads and mining roads are as different as can be. I bet it also has a lot to do with the operators as well. :my2c

I do want to see the new unit in person, it sure looks neat.
Has anyone ever run one of these units that has the dual mode transmission in it? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Last edited:

gbdigger

Occupation
Super
Not to sure I like this cab, all they did was narrow down the front so you will have less room, seems a little cramped for me. I don't have that much trouble with an H model myself. :IMO Also no telling how expensive it is to replace the glass every time some punk breaks it out. :mad:

Greg in KC

michael james

Occupation
36 years working for a council, last 12 as a grade
komatsu GD555-5

Hi there,
Interesting pictures of the komatsu gd 555-5 with its different cab design. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to demo one of these machines at whittlesea last week for a short time. The whole grader is a vast improvement on the gd 555-3 series 1. We have the series 1 at work and as a grader, its ok, but the dash 5 has many improvements.
Apart from the obvious hexangular cab design with superior vision of the blade, vision out the side windows and out the back window is very good. other changes to the machine are increased hp ( almost on par with the old gd 655-3 model), vastly improved cooling system with hydraulic fan and wide spaced coolers, heavier push block (just on 1000kg), different instrument panel, ground level fueling, and a few mods to the transmission.
I operated this machine for a short time at the demo and it felt good overall, the machine has stayed with steering wheel and conventional levers for the hydraulics so that felt familiar, giving me more time to get an overall impression of the machine. Unfortunatley I didn't get the chance to take pictures of the grader,(to many other operators waiting for a turn). Any way, I walked away with a good feeling about the machine.
Mick.

michael james

Occupation
hydraulics are very fast and reasonably strong, the demo operator lifted the dash 5 completely off the ground via the blade controls and ripper control at the same time at idle revs and the revs didn't even change.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Do they still have inboard disc brakes ? On older models the brake material goes into the oil in the tandems & your bearings etc :eek:. Hope the designers have sorted that drama after previous models :(

G Model

Occupation
salesman
thanks for the photo's. I find it interesting that Komatsu has stayed with the conventional controls.

michael james

Occupation
new komatsu gd555-5 grader

If anyone is interested in veiwing the new komatsu range of graders, type vantage grader into your web browser, and click on the "vantage graders" result.

The resulting page should show you press release information, two adverts, and a video. I have tried to put video into heavy equipment forums but was unsuccessful.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've seen better service out of Deere and Champion graders that I've ever seen from Komatsu units. Slip clutches on the blades were an option. Stock was a shear pin that becomes a real problem. The front wheel bearings ran in grease instead of oil and it seemed dirt got in there real easy all the time. I've seen plenty of bolts broken out of the drive side that held the tandems onto the base machine. The blade guides were held in with a single bolt bracket which broke within days or maybe weeks of being new. Engine and transmission were bullet proof but I believe the machines were only good for pulling shoulders on county roads. I know of only one left in my area.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
I just got off a rental for three days and it was a pretty nice machine. Visibility was good. Fast controls at low rpms but not too quick in higher rpms. From an operators point of view it was nice other than only havering one vent that could be pointed in the operator. In 110 heat it wasn't enough.