• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D61PXi-23 Starting issues

Zzooomm

The hydraulic hose to the right drive motor blows and was replaced by Waukesha Pearce. They also replaced the HST filter and replaced 25 gals of hydraulic oil. Very limited function test.

I ran it briefly and stopped when I received a HST filter clogged alert. I stopped and removed the filter and it had a few small brass shavings and a small glint of silver metallic dust that would not stick to a magnet. Put it back on and it alert again and I limped to a more desirable location and parked it. Engine running perfectly and an easy starter.

Next morning returned and had forgotten to turn off the battery disconnect. I tried to start it and the batteries were low but it did start and run briefly but may have had a fuel starvation sound and died. Hasn't started since. Cranks but no start no smoke

Tech comes back out and it won’t start for him and he was not prepared to jump but did hook up his truck for 3-4 hours while he was there. He removed the filter/separator and said it was only half full of fuel. He blew the line back from the filter to the tank and initially had significant resistance. He then pressurized the tank and fuel flowed freely to the filter.

He returned today after I had drained and replaced all the fuel, changed all the fuel filters, bleed the system and replaced the batteries which the old batteries charged and tested fine. He spent all day today troubleshooting. Rail pressure is good. No codes whatsoever either in Komtrax or when he queried the ECM directly. Bleed the rail. Nothing. Won’t start. No smoke. The injectors are controlled by the ECM. Starting fluid does nothing. It does sound like it wants to start.

He wants to come back Monday, pull the hood and manually check the injectors which will take 2 days in certain. It costs me no less the $1000 every day he comes out. I’m thinking of replacing the ECU myself. It’s cheaper than having him come out for 2 days and I don’t think that all the injectors failed overnight! The ECU on the other hand might fail abruptly. It’s either that or something so simple it’s not obvious. I’m getting a bit desperate to find a solution.

Komatsu D61PXi-23. When I initially backed it off the trailer I was very pleased with my purchase until the line blew. I’m sorry for the essay but wanted to give you as much info as I can. If you have any advice please do share it! I’ll be forever indebted!

Thanks! Kevin

LACHAU

Hope to be helpful to you.
The attached file is a section about troubleshooting the engine of the Komatsu D61PXi-23 bulldozer, you can download it for reference.
Good luck.

ScreenShot_20221118230658.png

Attachments

• D61EXi(PXi)-23 Engine Troubleshooting.pdf
    122.4 KB · Views: 5

Zzooomm

Unfortunately, it currently sits at Kirby Smith in McAlister, OK since November. I've spent $15k on diagnostics before taking it there. Three techs at KS have looked at it including checking compression and the last tech miraculously discovered the High Pressure Pump was only making 200-300 psi. They sent it out and tested it defective. It had always tested at 5000+psi prior. I'm waiting on a pump from Bosch. Komatsu gets almost 4k for the pump but the same pump from Bosch is $1200.

My confidence is waning! You have ideas?

Baileymobile

When the customer sent me the video Friday before Easter it was running rough. When I showed up Monday it would not start at all. Would fire off of starter fluid but die. Check resistance across the injectors found #3 and #6 where at 2.5 ohms replaced them machine runs rough. Still diving back into diagnosing it has no fault codes what so ever

Zzooomm

Mine had no codes on Komtrax or through Insight. Waukesha came out three times and had no idea what the issue was. Cummins sent a factory tech out and he did everything they did again. Hauled it to KS and its on the third tech there. I just hope it is the high pressure pump.