• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D65e-6 Questions

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On the whine, could be hydraulics from clutch pack or control oil distribution leakage, some noise from the finals occurs as age sets in and the gears normally wear in forward hard push, face contact change in reverse.

oldirt

dmiller, I was wondering about this motor, didn't komatsu build these in japan under some kind of license from C and is it possible the one in question may have been retrofitted from another salvage (possible american built) unit? parts for this might be really reasonable..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Cummins as a heavy equipment engine was not unheard of years ago. Saw V555 and VT903 units in some off brand HE but never name brand and only a few had inline engines mainly being cranes, the smaller late model "Cummins" units are actually the old Case tractor engines. As to licenses by Komatsu I seriously doubt it, they cloned Cat tractors, cloned Fiat tractors and other major makes as to CTL or Excavator, the original engines in Komatsu loaders and dozers were the old external fuel line, double disc pump design engines Cummins dropped in the 60's with upgrades to internal head galleries and the later PT series flange mounted pumps.

oldirt

ok, I have seen an early d65 that had what looked like a 220 na motor in it, but had no cummins badges anywhere. maybe they are not interchangeable at all.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Major bolting patterns as bellhousing or front mounts should remain the same, just the individual components may not interchange as heads, cylinder kits, attached equipment points.

fhore1

I am currently dealing with a D65A-6 oil in the coolant system. The hydraulic cooler failed but we misdiagnosed the head gasket and tore it down. We did find an injector rod broken and a small leak in the head gasket to a head bolt but never saw coolant in the oil.

Does anyone know where i can get the head bolts for less then an arm and a leg? Cummins wants $133 #188329 and other places i have seen then down to $70. Can I just use a grade 8?

Any other input on finding the Torque converter coolers?
600-652-1110 OIL COOLER

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Going to have to buy some manufacturers head bolts, Engine Specific not just grade 8s. replace washers while there. If cannot spend this money have invested poorly on machine. Test ALL the Pushrods, drop from a inch or two above a hard surface On END, goes Thud is oil filled and junk, rings and ends not loose good to go. Do NOT attempt to Save head Bolts, saw this over and over since the 1970s, waste of time as will be replacing broken ones as go along likely to pop head gaskets as well.

tctractors

Komatsu have been involved with Cummins for many years and often build the engines with specific engine mods, this Komatsu involvement was enhanced as they jointly developed larger power engines, the NH 220-CI is just over 12 ltr with the 855 being the 14 ltr motor, I can tell you lots of parts on a standard Truck 220 would not fit the Komatsu build engine, often an amount of engineering was needed to overcome this, I have worked on the D65's from the early A's through to the latest series with all the fume crap so think I know my way around them, the N855C was fitted to the D68E and the NT855 was fitted to the D85 series, on your steering fault you need to firstly check the suction screen under your left foot sat in the cab, its the lid with 3 bolts you need to get into, the fact you need to vent air from the filter purge plug I would put coins on the steering pump is scrap, follow the pipe work on to the pump, there is 2 pumps driven on the top left of the engine back case, transmission and steering clock and anti clock rotation, there is no common adjustment of the steering after assembly only brake band adjustment.

nicky 68a

For me,those early Komatsu dozers were an excellent tractor,possibly better than a Cat.D65’s and D155’s could move serious muck and were reliable.
But,that’s as far as I’d go with the praise.
It seems to me that you need know when to sell one to avoid getting very seriously burned in the wallet department.
Old Komatsu’s are not for me.
I’ve owned old Cat’s as front line dozers for 30+ years now from 1972 D8H’s to 2016 D8T’s and plenty in between.
I feel if I’d have tried to keep old Komatsu’s going,I’d have been out of business years ago.

Dave Neubert

I built a Cummins in a D75 and it had the external fuel lines and used a truck 220 for the crank shaft and other parts they are the same

tctractors

I built a Cummins in a D75 and it had the external fuel lines and used a truck 220 for the crank shaft and other parts they are the same
You did well then, I had a D75 it had the Cummins NTO-6-CI engine in it with the same bore size as the NH 220 but there was a bit of engineering needed to get a 220 crank to fit into the Komatsu spec' block.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Quite a few variables to Cummins cranks by CPL, blending into a Contract build Komatsu, not so good.