• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu engine

mayhugh

I'm new to the forum and hoping to find some help here. I have a 2013 d65wx-17. I had a valve break and ruined one cylinder. I'm debating on whether to fix the one cylinder or replace the whole engine. I have found a rebuilt engine but the cpl# doesn't match. I'm want to know if that matters and how to find out what is compatible. I don't want to buy engine, pay shipping and core charges and the new engine not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mayhugh

I will not be doing the work myself. My mechanic would do it and yes he has the tools and knowledge to do it. I'm leaning towards replacing the engine which is why I need the answers to knowing how to tell if another engine is compatible.

chidog

Need to find someone that knows those machines well. When swapping for another engine its looking for all the proper bolt holes all over the replacement engine, and such items as dimensions for flywheel mounting and distance flywheel to housing flange, damper and pulley on front, mounting points for what ever accessories and what ever else I am forgetting. And that new of machine then there is the emissions garbage to consider, could include things like the cam and fuel system. In the automotive (car and small truck) world an engine swap most always means you take everything sensor and emissions related off the old engine and put it on the new.
The quick thing maybe to just fix the one hole. But then I never think about the cost of paying to have things done. A total DIY person here.

tctractors

D65-17 engine will be spend'y indeed, I would repair your 1 cylinder and check the parts listing for the correct valve stem to fit the seals to, the take out engines that are about for a -17 would be very hard to find, there is a lot of work to swap out engines plus the - 17 is not famed for earning its owners a load of coins, the Komatsu Plus PPR Track assembly's are not loved, even getting the sump off is some task.

tctractors

Tell me the price of your Good Running take out engines if you can find any for sale? in the U.K. we would fix what you have as the crank should be still good.

56wrench

And how do you know a used replacement engine is any good and will last? You usually only have the seller’s word that its good. I would repair what you have.

mayhugh

Repairing the one cylinder is looking like my only option to get back running quickly. My major obstacle is time. I need to be running by the end of the month and I can't find anyone around that could do the work that fast which is why I was thinking of swapping. I'm in south carolina, if anyone knows of someone willing to do the work.

mayhugh

Swapping out the engine would most probably be more work than fixing what you have.
I would have to pull the engine to fix the cylinder, so doing a long block swap would save me a few days or longer on down time, but I can't find the cummins equivalent block/ model. I'm told it's a cummins qsl9, but the only ones I can find are newer tier 4 and I'm not sure if they are the same block/ mounting holes, etc. Different cpl #'s on the newer engines also. Would that matter if I stripped it down to bare block and put all of my parts on it?
When deciding whether to repair one cylinder or replace the entire engine for your 2013 Komatsu D65WX-17 dozer, consider the following factors:

1. Condition of the Engine: Assess the overall condition of the engine. If it's relatively new and the rest of the components are in good shape, repairing one cylinder might be cost-effective.
  2. Cost Analysis: Compare the cost of repairing one cylinder to the cost of a complete engine replacement, taking into account parts, labor, and potential downtime.
  3. Inquiry expert: Yes, you can reach out to Tonkee Parts for assistance with sourcing parts and equipment-related questions. Tonkee Parts is known for providing aftermarket and OEM parts for various heavy equipment brands, including Komatsu, Caterpillar, Volvo, Case, Jcb. They may be able to help you find the parts you need or provide guidance on your equipment-related queries. You can contact them through their website or customer support channels to inquire about specific parts or any other assistance you require.

chidog

Especially now (age) I would rather remove an engine than have to constantly climb under and upon to work on it. I felt that way even when younger, even removing a D342 from a D8 was not a huge job with the correct tools to work with.