• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu PC 45-1 finals lube

Labparamour

Morning,
Does anyone know what lube is used in the planetary final drive on
a PC 45-1? I understand some models use 30wand some gear oil.
Thanks,
Darryl

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
From experience on various brands of excavator final drives I would personally go for an oil that meets TO-4 specification and SAE50 viscosity. EP-rated gear oils contain additives that have been known to attack the silicone-based rubber used in the steel face seals in final drives. I personally wouldn't use them.

Last edited:

Labparamour

Thank you for the info. It's a borrowed machine and one final is damp so may already have a bad seal. I wanted to top off before running but want to stick to factory specs. Pulling the plug the fluid smells like gear oil. The machine's owner has the manual buried somewhere. I'll bug him to find the manual.