• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu pc18mr bad blow by

hvguy

Picked up a unit for cheap, didn't run, got the fuel system bled and it barely ran. All 3 injectors were loose, got them tight, apparently it's been sitting a while. Barely has any power,enough blow-by to force oil out of the pcv.

The engine is a 3d67e Kubota. BUT I can't find anything on that engine. Similar models use a d902.... Are these the same engine? Pumps even look the same.

Tried running it to hopefully get the piston rings to un-stick but it ended up overheating. My guess is the thermostat is stuck.

What's your opinion. A d902 is affordable, but I wonder if it'll fit
Screenshot_20200611-224723.png Screenshot_20200611-224704.png

02SILVER

We have done this exact thing. We picked up an almost dead pc18 mr cheap and swapped in a d902 from a grasshopper mower I picked up for $300. It works great, we use it for pot-holeing existing utilities before we start a job.

hvguy

We have done this exact thing. We picked up an almost dead pc18 mr cheap and swapped in a d902 from a grasshopper mower I picked up for $300. It works great, we use it for pot-holeing existing utilities before we start a job.
Was it a drop in replacement? Dang that would be super easy!

02SILVER

Yes, all bracketry, and engine components bolted right up including pump coupler. Only issue is the oil dipstick ended up on the wrong side(probably changeable). It runs great and is rated slightly higher in HP from the mower configuration.

hvguy

Yes, all bracketry, and engine components bolted right up including pump coupler. Only issue is the oil dipstick ended up on the wrong side(probably changeable). It runs great and is rated slightly higher in HP from the mower configuration.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear for the 2k I paid for it, another 3k would be reasonable. Thanks again!

Cburt

Had the same machine and did that exact engine swap at 3200 hrs. Direct swap only difference was oil pan and accessories. Unbolted everything pulled engine and swapped parts. Not bad to do. Less than a day job.

hvguy

Sounds easy enough. Finding a 902 is appearing to be a ball ache, found a d722 (which is what this engine appears to be) that came out of a heavy truck ac system. They're asking 950, and it's local. May just go with the same old unit.

Wonder why these engines only last 2500hrs

hvguy

Found a d722, basically the same unit. Paid 700, it's an old Apu air conditioning unit for a semi truck. Had 125 hours on it

She been sitting for a while but cranked up no problem.
Screenshot_20200613-173824.png

hvguy

IMG_20200807_183311.jpg IMG_20200807_184956.jpg

Wow. Where do I even start. I managed to hookup the output from the alternator to ground, the fuel filter leaked and the high speed travel sometime works lol

Got everything sorted and the engine works.... But the thermostat housing on the donor engine was different. And there was NO easy way to swap it without removing the head... So I bought a new head gasket and swapped the old head onto the donor engine. So far so good. New thermostat, oil, filter, fuel, lift pump "even tho I figured out the fuse was blown for the pump lol"

Now it's leaking oil from the valve cover "ordered a new gasket" and at low rpm it makes a little knock, at high rpm it misfires. My guess is the old injectors need swapped. That's what I'll try first.

Reactions: DB2