• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

komatsu transmission

jughead

Occupation
retired
1977 d75s front trans yoke need advice on removing it. tried a small puller didnt work. looks like 2 bolts hold it on the shaft from outside. if nothing holding inside will get a larger puller. need help please. i have the shop manual. doesnt look like anything inside the trans.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
If all the bolts are removed and there are no other fasteners (snap rings, clips, etc.) I'd say go for a bigger puller. If that doesn't work then you might try a large slide hammer. I've only pulled yokes on pickup trucks before, but if the yoke and shaft are splined then it should come off the same way.

Could we get a picture by chance?

jughead

Occupation
retired
d75s

i have 3 exploded views of this trans. nothing is show inside to hold the yoke. i dont have a camera. cant get my son here to post pics. if positive there is nothing inside to break would get what ever puller it takes to get it off. dealer in chatt town says have to pull trans. i have a problem with his suggestion needless to say.

Countryboy

Occupation
Well, definately take the dealers advice over mine, because mine's just a guess at best. Not saying the dealer's advice is correct.....just not sure about mine either. It must not be a standard press-fit yoke or there is something else that needs to be removed. :beatsme

jughead

Occupation
retired
d75s

thanks for the replies going for a bigger puller tomorrow. i have worked on vehicles for 40 years just cant see one would have to pull the trans to remove a yoke.

jughead

Occupation
retired
d75s

My bet is that there is a snap ring on the inside jughead.
it acts like it but the book doesnt show one. the pics in the computer seem to be very clear. there are 2 snap rings inside but they hold something else and do not show touching the yoke at all. just hard to believe one has to pull that big unit to change the yoke.

jughead

Occupation
retired
d75s

My bet is that there is a snap ring on the inside jughead.
you are rite. found a guy at the dealer that could use a computer. dug up some excellent pics. i made a jig and drilled the bolt out. i really helps just to talk about some of this stuff. gets one thinking kind of makes the brain work a little better. thanks guys for the help you made a big difference and kept me from screwing up big time.

Countryboy

Occupation
you are rite. found a guy at the dealer that could use a computer. dug up some excellent pics. i made a jig and drilled the bolt out. i really helps just to talk about some of this stuff. gets one thinking kind of makes the brain work a little better. thanks guys for the help you made a big difference and kept me from screwing up big time.

So what's with the guy who said the transmission had to be removed....or maybe they would've removed the transmission for easier access to the snap ring. :rolleyes: :D

Glad to hear you got it.

jughead

Occupation
retired
d75s

one more thing. i am just beginning to realize how expensive this yellow paint is. when i started in business over 40 years ago in auto motive repair i have rebuilt passenger car automatics for what ONE u-joint cost for this thing. no wonder dirt pushing is so expensive.:drinkup

Wulf

So what's with the guy who said the transmission had to be removed....or maybe they would've removed the transmission for easier access

Yeah... you didn't really explain why you wanted to get the yoke off. Was it just the drive shaft bolts broken off in the flange?

jughead

Occupation
retired
d75s

would have been easier to drill out the broken bolt in a drill press. my wife says i never make myself clear. sorry.