• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota KX41-3 saggy tracks

Hendrik

I spend yesterday cleaning the equipment (after spending 2 hours fixing the petrol powered pressure washer) and found that the rubber tracks on the KX have a fair bit of sag on them.
A good 2 to 3 inches of movement.
Unfortunately I can't get at the operators manual which is locked behind a panel under the seat and the key won't open the lock, I don't want to use force and might drop into the dealer when I get a chance to see if there is a trick.
The tracks are near new but am wondering if this amount of play in the tracks is normal or if the previous owner has put wrong size tracks on the machine, or if there is a problem in the tensioning mechanism?
While we are talking Kubota, has it been figured out why they use an odd machine numbering system? I guess the K stands for Kubota and the X for excavator but what is with the 41 for a 1.6 tonne machine, well it is classed as a 1.5 tonne machine so should be KX15-3?

Last edited:

ianoz

Hi Hendrik,There should be a grease nipple on the trackframe that is for the track adjuster,one on each side .Not sure what the tension for rubber track should be but lift it up on the blade and boom and pump grease in till i guess you feel happyer with the track tension.. The seal in the track adjuster may be letting it leak back. ,See how you go .ian.

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
I would assume the KX41-3 is the same as my KX91-3 and the same key opens the door with the manual in it. You might have to push in on the door to make it work. Also I would assume the adjuster is in the same place on each side of the frame, towards the front between the track. There is a plate with one bolt holding it in place. Just remove the plate then pump the grease fitting with grease until the bottom of the track comes close to the bottom of the center roller. That is the adjustment for the steel tracks.

atgreene

The wear of the pins and the stretching of the tracks will lead to sagging. Common issue, my Tak says that there should be 1-2" of play, iirc?

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
The KX41-3 does not have any steel plates protecting the track tensioning grease nipples, the nipples are in the centre of each track frame through a small circular hole.

I believe the manual states 10-15mm gap between the track and the centre roller on the track frame.

If the tracks are new then 50-75mm of sag is common especially if the tracks have not been tensioned since being installed as the tracks mainly stretch in the first 50-100hrs of use.

Tension them up and monitor them to see if they loose tension again.

How old is the machine?

Hendrik

The KX41-3 does not have any steel plates protecting the track tensioning grease nipples, the nipples are in the centre of each track frame through a small circular hole.

I believe the manual states 10-15mm gap between the track and the centre roller on the track frame.

If the tracks are new then 50-75mm of sag is common especially if the tracks have not been tensioned since being installed as the tracks mainly stretch in the first 50-100hrs of use.

Tension them up and monitor them to see if they loose tension again.

How old is the machine?
Cheers guys, I discovered those grease nipples after giving the machine a clean up. Will give then a good squirt of the sticky stuff and see how I go.
The KX has 1850 hours on the clock.

Hendrik

Been meaning to update this, yes the grease in the track tensioners did the trick and the tracks are nice and tight now.
Whilst we are in the track department, came across this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:au
I believe the frc brand are made in China but are sold by reputable dealers here in Oz, so can't be complete junk, anyone have any experience with the frc tracks?
My Kub don't need tracks but if I can get a spare set cheap...........

ianoz

Hi Hendrik, Don't know anything about the brand ,but I would be making sure that they are the right size to fit your machine otherwise you could end up with the same problem the seller has .Bugger don't fit. ian.

Hendrik

Hi Hendrik, Don't know anything about the brand ,but I would be making sure that they are the right size to fit your machine otherwise you could end up with the same problem the seller has .Bugger don't fit. ian.
Having looked into it I think the KX41-3V uses a 230x96x35 size, with the 35 referring to links in the track
http://www.rubbertracksuk.com/index.php?xstrt=10
http://www.meadplant.com/excavator _rubber_tracks.htm
http://groundhogtracks.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=340
This handy to know
http://www.gtw.com.au/files/rubber_track_measurement.pdf

ianoz

So it looks like don't waste your time and money bidding. Those links should be handy .We have a yanmar 3ton zero swing with rubber tracks,has not been a bad machine . ian.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
The size you mentioned seems to refers to the Kubota U15 mini excavator which is a zero tail machine so probably has a longer undercarriage than the 41-3 however your machine does have expanding tracks like the U15 so it could be the same!!!!

Hendrik

The size you mentioned seems to refers to the Kubota U15 mini excavator which is a zero tail machine so probably has a longer undercarriage than the 41-3 however your machine does have expanding tracks like the U15 so it could be the same!!!!
Finally cleaned enough mud off the tracks to find the numbers and it uses a 230x96x35 size track, anyway the tracks on ebay went for over 300 bucks, so would be a bit pricey for spares.

Bulldog67

Hi, sorry to jump into a thread but I've just got myself a secondhand KX41-3V, can't find the hydrolic fluid tank! sorry but we all have to start somewhere! ;)

Hendrik

Hi, sorry to jump into a thread but I've just got myself a secondhand KX41-3V, can't find the hydrolic fluid tank! sorry but we all have to start somewhere! ;)
You have to remove the panel on the left side of the machine, just in front of the motor cover.
The hyd level is checked by sight glass below that panel, make sure to clean the dust from behind the foam pads above the hyd tank.

Hendrik

Found it and Ooo it was a bit on the low side! , Thanks Hendrik.
Make sure that when you top it up that you place the boom and backfill blade on the ground and when checking the level later put the boom and blade in the same position, the level is affected by the the positioning of the hyd rams (you'd know all about rams, wouldn't you;) ), I have the level so that when the machine is on the back of the truck the level is correct.
I would also advise a full service if you bought the machine without knowing it's background. The KX41-3V is designed well in that all the drain points are in the same area and you just have to rotate the body so the drain points clear the tracks.
I would also advise that you find the operators manual which should be behind the panel under the seat, in a slot just above the battery (which should be checked as well).

Bulldog67

Bhaaaa! ;)

Unfortunatly no operators manual under seat.

Will get it serviced ASAP!

Many thanks again for the advise.

Just tried to get a spare key cut at several stores but they cant do them, do you know if these can only be done at a Kubota dealer?

Last edited: