• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

KX121-3 Hydraulic troubles

Travis Lohnes

Long time forum reader for knowledge and advice, newbie member. I have a Kubota Kx121-3 that has no hydraulic movement. The pilot pump is supplying pressure to valve block and I also have change valve pressure with safety lever down. Looking at the schematic I then checked pressure at bottom of valve bank of Pps and Pls and do not have any pressure at all. I can try to figure out how to post a schematic if anyone would like to have a look. I'm hoping for some advice before I take the machine somewhere to be diagnosed. If I don't have any pressure I assume either pump or unload valve or maybe a control valve is just dumping flow to tank.
FYI my uncle was last owner of this machine and this has happened a few times before I bought it but the problem has always just went away. It's been sitting for a while at my father in laws, went to float it home, started right up, got on trailer fine then when I got home to remove from trailer nothing would work... thanks for any input...

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
According to my schematic we have a solenoid valve between the pump and distribution, have you a gauge to check if this is as it should be ?
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Oops should I mention if you have a pattern change valve check it is in position.

Travis Lohnes

Uffex, thanks for your reply.
The pattern change is in position. I checked with gauge and have PSI after the solenoid yes. I should mention even the dozer blade does not move as I believe this is not controlled by the solenoid.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Travis
I not to sure where you have checked the pressure after the solenoid valve the feed line connects to the slew brake then returning to connect to the remote controls. Take a look at the attachment to be sure we are on the same page.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• 121 HydSchema.pdf
    684.2 KB · Views: 26

Travis Lohnes

Hello, I had my gauge right into the outlet of the change valve. Where it leaves the solenoid and goes to the slew brake and the travel lock cylinder. Should I try to follow that line and test at more places?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Do you mean you have zero pressure at that point ? You should see about 40 bars 500 psi

uffex

Occupation
Admin
If we simplify the schematic, maybe help. See attached

Attachments

• 121 HydSchema.pdf
    684.2 KB · Views: 12

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Ok we can discount the solenoid and pump but if I understand you correctly there is zero at the remote controls?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Travis
Your post has all the symptoms of a control lock out failure be it the solenoid valve, can you please hook a gauge into the line that runs to the swing brake and test for pressure.
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Hi Travis
Yes that is according to my schematic, may I suggest follow the output line from the small gear pump, it should go through a filter attach to an accumulator then to the solenoid valve. Mark the line at the solenoid, take a photo and post it. The slew brake has a number of lines, you can follow those back and note which goes into the solenoid valve.
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Hi Travis
I am sorry for the differences in industry terminology, manufacturers use university grads to write manuals all have a new interpretation of a common part "change valve" is also called "Lock" in the same document both of which mean "Control lock out" self-explanatory blocks the use of levers & pedals.
Sorry if this is confusing, a bug bear of the machines we work with. One day the industry will adopt common expressions helping all concerned.

Travis Lohnes

Uffex,
I understand what you are explaining. That solenoid has a tee, one line to the "travel lock cylinder" and one to the slew brake (which tees of again). I have 400-500 PSI at the valve where it tees to slew brake and to travel lock cylinder.

Thanks,
Travis

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Travis
Can you check to see if we have pilot pressure from the R.C.V. at the main valve stack, take one that is easy to get to, no matter if it boom bucket or arm.
Kind regards
Uffex

Travis Lohnes

Looking at say the dozer blade valve, it is controlled by mechanical shuttle, not hydraulic pilot shuttle, if I have a pilot control issue shouldn't the dozer blade still work?