• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

L90G

Volvo84

I have a L90G. When running the machine, runs fine till you get to 3rd gear then goes to 1500RPM. You can shut the machine off and it will give you full RPM again till you shift into 3rd then goes back to 1500RPM. When it does i,t I get a couple codes. 9-7, 96-12 and a 96-1. It also started shutting off like it is running out of fuel. It looks like some has been chasing this for some time. Lots of new parts on the machine. Has anybody gone trough this or have a idea on where to start. Am I chasing a fuel problem or maybe a trans problem?

96-1 and 96-12 Have the exact same description below.

9-7 Is for Volvo care track and you will always have that code if you don't subscribe to it.

96 Fault mode
FMI 12
Detection conditions:The engine control unit (E-ECU) registers: that the rail pressure control is not working correctly
Symptom:
○ Yellow central warning
○ Max. speed is limited to 1100 rpm by the engine protection function
○ Torque reduction
Possible causes:
○ Damaged wire harness or connector
○ Defective fuel rail pressure sensor.
○ Leakage in high pressure fuel system, check the following components:
Fuel pressure relief valve (PRV)
Fuel rail pressure sensor
High pressure fuel pipes
Fuel injectors
Fuel nozzles
Fuel rail
○ Defective fuel control valve (FCV).
○ Defective high pressure fuel pump.
○ Defective camshaft lobe
○ Insufficient fuel supply

In my experience these systems are time consuming and difficult to narrow down hence why they probably threw parts it. Fuel rail pressure leaks are unlikely, would be obvious external or if leaking internally would have fuel in the oil. There was/is a common problem with an updated regulator(FCV) and rail pressure sensor that if memory serves me correctly Volvo now only sells them in a kit together, on the low side I have seen loose fuel supply pump belt or incorrectly installed water separator bowl, drain or sensor. On the high end the high pressure pump could be going bad or a injector or 3 with high return that could be determined with some testing.