• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Land Clearing pictures

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
50 acres of bush we took down. All done with D8's and root rakes, level off after with straight blades and then tandem disced 3 times after.... now this is what you call a clean job gentlemen! No root picking involved here, this was all large poplar, ash and maple trees at one time.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 3,496
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3,270
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,218
  • IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 8,162
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 7,654

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
looks good and are you guys dry enouh down there. we are wet up here and i mean wet.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Yea its finally starting to dry out now, had the 8's stuck about 4 times last week alone thow. Its not that we have had a whole bunch of rain, just been such a cool summer, nothing is drying out too quickly. None of the corn or beans in our area are going to make it its been so dern cold. ony 1200 heat units all summer, on average we get 1800-2000 heat units.

oldirt

I hate to point this out

but there is a 3' long root right in front of your pickup..

Still a good job of cleanup.

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
No you don't need a rake for you excavator, you need a dozer with a rake haha. I have used both for clearing land, and anything more than an acre.. a dozer is by far my efficient.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Beautiful job! My Dad's idea of a good time was having us boys picking roots by hand and I hated every minute of it. He had a D2, early 50's vintage which was a good learning tool for me as I spent many hours on it digging out roots, pulling a drag, etc... Wish you'd have done the breaking for him!

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
oh my, there you go using southern words like "units". so what does that mean. we get 5 hot days a year up here in the great white north.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
oh my, there you go using southern words like "units". so what does that mean. we get 5 hot days a year up here in the great white north.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

haha, it means the snow melts off the tee pees and wigwams alittle quicker down here. i know all about the weather north of 60. spent waaaayy too much of my life in Thompson. haha, i basically means that this was like the coldest summer on record for us.

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
yes we are having a cold wet summer up here. the heat has been on the house numerous times and i have had the AC on mybe 3 times this summer. good summer up here not to be working since it is so wet.
thompson has changed lots but it is in the south from here, LOL.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
thats a nice dozer love to see those old things still working

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt

Occupation
Farmer
Wow, someone that actually knows how to properly clear land with a dozer. It never got dry enough to use a big dozer and rake this year here.

Around here you don't see many dozers anymore. Farmers got fed up with the mess they left. I personally think the most efficient setup is both a dozer and hoe. We have stones here, and a dozer can't load trucks to get rid of them.

Great pics.

Warren

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Wow, someone that actually knows how to properly clear land with a dozer. It never got dry enough to use a big dozer and rake this year here.

Around here you don't see many dozers anymore. Farmers got fed up with the mess they left. I personally think the most efficient setup is both a dozer and hoe. We have stones here, and a dozer can't load trucks to get rid of them.

Great pics.

Warren

Welcome back farmerknowsbest you must have been busy Haven't seen you in these parts for a while.

Yahooo 800 posts !

Last edited:

surfer-joe

Great looking soil but I suppose it's difficult to work in when wet.

Really cold here, only 60 degrees today. two weeks ago we set a record, was over a hundred. Two days ago the humidity was only 4% and temp was 80, a wonderful day.

I always loved land clearing, lots of fun.

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Looks good to me other than the sketchy rigging on the root rake blade hooked to the boom. Not bashing but you would be well advised to take a look here

http://www.slingchoker.com/sling2/crosby/ix/ix249.htm

How deep did you rip the Field overall?

haha, i knew someone would mention my chains. Just don't stand underneath it and its all good man! I have one safety rule - be stupid, and you'll get hurt haha. first we rough raked it to get the big loose stuff. then we ripped it about 3 to 4 feet deep with a multi shank ripper on a D8 twice on opposite angles. Then raked it opposite angles about 4 times. nice light sandy soil. Roots just popped out like nothing, dirt stayed behind. Very nice to work in. but eats up undercarriage like crazy.

JDOFMEMI

Nice work Catskinner

I see both sides of the rigging. On your own site, with no one around, and you know enough to not get under it it is fine. I would hate to have to do it that way on a busy site with a safety minded customer. They may not take it so well.

The way you cleared the land there looks very impressive. Too many rocks where I am to get it like that.