• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Landscape VS Construction

JD4020

Just though Id ask for some opinion on this site, what area looks better for the future? Landscape construction, or small scale earthmoving like digging foundations. I want to go to school for carpentry, and someday run my own construction and excavating company, but construction isnt doing as well this days, is it? Would I be better off looking at work in the landscape area?:beatsme

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
Go to school and do your thing. When schools done work for some different contractors to find out what you like and what you can learn. The market sucks right now but it will come around, it always does, just be ready to jump in when the time comes.

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
Personlly i think there are too many landscapers out there now. And if things like gas prices keep going the way they are now i think people might start cutting back on things like landscaping. But thats just my opinion.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I do a lot of finish grading for contractors and landscapers. What I find odd right now is that the contractors are slow but the landscapers are tearing their hair out they have so much work. In a down economy, I am surprised that there are so many homeowners that are spending big bucks on landscaping. Maybe it is just something unique to my area.
I also have noticed in the past that the landscapers tend to make more profit on their jobs. I am working for some of the high end type landscapers and maybe that makes a difference.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You're talking about another segment of the construction industry with landscape construction. I've been in that business for 11 years and the past two years have been very slow. This season is starting out as the worst since I've been in business. Most lanscaping will follow construction, so if there's not much construction going on, then there won't be much landscaping to follow.

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Just though Id ask for some opinion on this site, what area looks better for the future? Landscape construction, or small scale earthmoving like digging foundations. I want to go to school for carpentry, and someday run my own construction and excavating company, but construction isnt doing as well this days, is it? Would I be better off looking at work in the landscape area?:beatsme

You asked for my opinion so here it is in the suger coated form: The lanscaping industry is getting taken over by "Hispanics", and the same thing is happening with the construction industry. They underbid, and undercut others, doing the job for o lets say 10% less then normal, then take the money back to mexico, were it is worth more. Just my opinion:beatsme

stuvecorp

Someone nailed it, there is way to many landscapers already. Go to school and if you want in the future you can expand into landscaping and excavating.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I do the types of landscaping that I like to do and pass on the stuff I don't like to do. I prefer hardscping such as retaining walls, large rock work, and dirt work. I don't prefer to install irrigation systems in yards, I prefer not to plant trees although I do sometimes. I usually sub out the portions I don't care to do.

I also dig foundations and do small commercial excavation. Being diverse is really important. There is no doubt the margins are higher in some areas of landscaping, than residential excavation. By having a presence in both markets is a really bonus. Excavation has a longer work year, and involves a set clientel. Landscaping is more residential and dealing with homeowners. They both have their pluses and minuses.

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
Around here landscapers are a dime a dozen. However, there is only a handful of contractors that have the experience and knowledge to do hardscaping, ie retaining walls, birck walkways, stone patios, etc. It is a very specialized market, but if you have the tools and knowledge, a very good business. It may be a specialized segment of the market, but you can expand your business into excavation, landscaping, and foundation work if you choose.

My best recommendation is to go to school. I have a bachelor's degree in construction engineering and management. It has gotten me farther in this industry than any of my past experience. Companies are looking for educated people to run jobs, and manage projects. It is easy to go to the hall and get the labor, but much more difficult to find the management for the project.