• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Last Minute Trailer Question

ericscher

They are going to start building my trailer next week, so I can still modify the order.

I chose the 8,000 point oil bath electric drum axles with the 16" wheels and G-rate tires.

Am I making a mistake by not upgrading to 17.5" wheels/tires and/or Disc Brakes.

I've heard the arguments on both sides, so what I'm really looking for is the EXPERIENCE.

For reference...

The trailer will be tagged at 14,600 Pounds, will weight about 5,000 and will carry 7-8 thousand pounds which means I will typically be running at 12-13 thousand pounds.

However, I could in theory be running at the full 14,600 pounds

Also, I was spec-ing it out to be capable of 17,500 or so and I want it to be genuinely capable of carrying that weight. This is because for 8 months out of the year it's going to be working at least 4 days a week, maybe as much as 7; and I am a big believer in not using equipment to it's limits on a routine basis.

Forgetting about the money, which is my worry, am I screwing up by not buying those upgrades NOW?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Did the factory give you the tare weight? It seems high.

Is your tow vehicle capable of towing the larger trailer? I also subscribe to your theory of getting more machine than you need, it would seem to last longer.

The only downside I see is added expense and heavier tare weight which would result in a little higher fuel consumption.

mitch504

I think I would definitely go for it, unless it's stupidly expensive. Drum trailer brakes are a pain, though I know nothing about electric disks.

The 17.5 tires are far superior to the 16s. Also, heavy load 16s are going out of style, and are getting to be expensive items nobody stocks.

Dualie

In the middle of the night 17.5's are MUCH harder to come by. we used to run them on our big horse trailers that ate them far faster than any of the lowbeds ever thought of. I ended up taking them off the Horse trailer and putting 16" alcoas and Michelin XPS rib Tires that so far have lasted 5 years. I was averaging a 17.5 a every 4 or so months. Your results my vary.

I had great success with them on the lowbeds but for whatever reason the smaller trailers ate them like tic tacks. Is it to late to upgrade to electric over hydraulic disks?

ericscher

Is it to late to upgrade to electric over hydraulic disks?

No, and in fact I just did that this morning. Cost me an extra $1,400 but I figure it will NEVER be cheaper than that and I really do want to be certain that I do this once and do it right the first time.

I am still debating whether to go to 17.5" wheels & tires, but they supply the Taskmaster brand Provider ST Radials, which are G rated.

ST235/85R16-G
31.73" Diameter
16x6.0" wheels
4080lb capacity
110PSI
"L" speed rating (75mph/120kph)

The 17.5's only have a "J" rating for speed. (62mph/100mph)

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
You will be glad you got the electric over hydraulic. We have a 20k GN with them and its very smooth. Only thing I would advise against is torsion axles if your going to be close to GVWR or in rough road conditions Loading one axle up is not a real good idea when the second axle drops in a hole.

Dualie

The tires that PJ puts on from the factory are JUNK, every trailer i have seen come outta of the factory and get put to use starts to sidewall blister tires in a matter of less than 1000 miles.

mitch504

In the middle of the night 17.5's are MUCH harder to come by. we used to run them on our big horse trailers that ate them far faster than any of the lowbeds ever thought of. I ended up taking them off the Horse trailer and putting 16" alcoas and Michelin XPS rib Tires that so far have lasted 5 years. I was averaging a 17.5 a every 4 or so months. Your results my vary.

I had great success with them on the lowbeds but for whatever reason the smaller trailers ate them like tic tacks. Is it to late to upgrade to electric over hydraulic disks?

Funny you should say horse trailers, just goes to show the truth of "never say never, or always"
Horse trailers are what I based my comments on. My sister has 3 triple axle, single wheel horse trailers. Their avereage run is about 150-200 miles one way, but a few times a year they'll go to Texas or Oklahoma, even Minnesota once, and they are heavy. The 16's weren't lasting anytime, no matter what brand. I changed them over to 17.5s, actual lowboy tires, not pickup tires, and they've done great.

The other part was, I have 235/85 R16s on my service truck. Most everybody is running 17.5s or 19.5 on small service trucks and big pickups around here now, to the point that the local tire places say heavy load range 16s are getting uncommon. Wierd how things are different from place to place, isn't it?

ericscher

I'm buying two mounted spares with it; because tires never blow out at 9:01AM as you're driving past the tire store.

gwhammy

I've got a triple axle gooseneck with 7000 lb. axles. I used to go threw 16 inch tires all the time. Switched to 17.5 about 4 years ago and wore one tire out this year. I run a lot of gravel which is real hard on the back set of tires. I do haul around 10,000 all the time and up to 24,000 some. I would never switch back. I can get decent 17.5's for around 200 mounted. Any real good 16 inch tire will be that much or more.

Also I've got 18 of the 17.5's on the ground so it easier to keep on type tire around for replacements.