• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Later Cat 12G & 12H steps

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
I'm fortunate enough to run a 12G w/EROPS and an added Red Dot AC unit :D But the one thing I hate is the metal steps they have. They're always getting hit (woops) by me and the previous operators. I called up CAT to price a set of the fancy rubber/metal steps (my bros 12G has them) they come in pieces, but to assemble two whole sides the total cost is $881 :eek:

Does anybody else know of a cheaper solution to this? I've already got it planned to make a set this winter while down in the shop. But if there is a cheaper solution then i'd most certainly like to know about it.

Engineer4255

made a set for my Dad's 12G with some heavy rubber belt and 2inch wide metal grating from an old platform from exterior steps. had to make some brackets for the cab from some flat steel, and the rest was easy. I'll try to take some pics of them for you to go by. They do make it easier to get in and out of the cab as they can be a little lower than the standard steps, and hold up excellent to the accidental blade movements that always seem to happen.

JonesBros

Occupation
That would be great Tom!! Did the rubber belt you use have the thread webbing in it for strength? I have some real thick skirting rubber for a conveyor system thats maybe 1/2" thick and hard to bend but its just straight through rubber. Thanks Tom!

Cmark

Why not just buy the rubber hangers from Cat and fabricate your own steps? They're not too expensive.

DPete

I put a set on my 12G about 3 years ago, you could make them easily. I think it was $600 then and times were good so I bought mine. Big difference

JonesBros

Occupation
Why not just buy the rubber hangers from Cat and fabricate your own steps? They're not too expensive.

Cmark, i thought about that, but just havn't called them back to price the rubber pieces. Plus I like fabricating stuff and every time my foot steps on it, it'll feel more worth while knowing that I just took a bunch of metal & rubber and made it all myself, just more rewarding rather than taking short cuts :notworthy

DPete

If you want some close up pics of the steps let me know and I'll email them to you.

JonesBros

Occupation
Thanks DPete, but my brothers 12 G has the steps on his. I just thought about stealing his one night if his wasn't locked up every night in a state headquarters. I think i'm either going to try the thick skirting rubber I have or try some conveyor belting and double it up on each side for rigidness. I'm probably going to steal the grips off the original steps to make the grips for the new steps.

Engineer4255

Sorry this took so long to do Chris. Hope these help.

Attachments

• 0529091438.jpg
    0529091438.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 656
  • 0529091438a.jpg
    0529091438a.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 643
  • 0529091439.jpg
    0529091439.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 640
  • 0529091440.jpg
    0529091440.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 657

JonesBros

Occupation
Thanks for the pics of the steps Tom! Yesterday when I got stuck in a bottomless pit (from what I hear) in a ditch I finished the step off yesterday trying to pluck myself out. I need to do something and I need to do it fast!

Nice looking G also! Them AC units sure do make it nice!

Finish Blademan

Occupation
Sitework superintendent for Wolff Construction. ww
Nice lookin old blade.Well maintained by appearance.I cut my teeth so to speak on a 1978 Model 140 G.Learned to cut bluetops on that old machine.Still have a place in my heart for a G..

Engineer4255

Thanks guys. He does take good care of it. My brother and I bought him that A/C unit about 4 years ago. At age 75 the heat was starting to bother him more than normal so we thought it was time for a cooler enviroment in the cab. Now if I could just find a used ripper and push block for it to get rid of the scarifier he would be tickled pink.

Last edited:

JonesBros

Occupation
Then it would look kinda familiar if he added a push block and rear ripper

Attachments

• 12g.jpg
    12g.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 670

Engineer4255

yeah, it would I guess, lol. Course, would have to get the 15.5x25s and the low pro cab too to be complete. The wider rims seem to be harder to find than the ripper.

JonesBros

Occupation
Well it finally happened. I made the left side yesterday and mounted it today. Made the majority from scratch from a 4" piece of 1/8" steel with the other pieces that bolt it to the cab from a plate of 1/4". Not to bad for the first one, 2nd one of anything is always better. I'll make the other one come Monday :cool:

Attachments

• step.jpg
    step.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 445

JonesBros

Occupation
Thanks Tom! Time to make the other one today. Hopefully I can get the conveyor belt to lay down a little prettier than this one.

GPSGrader

Occupation
Grade Foreman/Operator - 95% Motor Grader
Nice job! I like how you've tapered the length of the steps. Good idea. Those ridges are a must. I'd bet grader man has slipped on a step a time or two. Wet muddy day...thats bout the time you're looking out the corner of your eye checking if anyone was watching!