• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

lets strike a nerve.

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
i've been visiting this forum for several years and while my post count is 156, i've chimed in on occasions when i thought that i could help someone with a problem. i've noticed that if i ask a question, i see views but no answers! is everyone afraid that if they answer a question they will get flamed or heaven forbid; give up some state secrets. there used to be a few on here that were not afraid to share their vast knowledge, and the forum was a better place for it.
i know that i dont have the ONLY case 9040b that was ever built! SO I MUST be the only one not ASHAMED to admit that I own one. to the masters that used to frequent here. you are missed, to the ones that refuse to share anything, thanks,for nothing.

Delmer

yeah, what do you expect? I think I'm more than willing to hazard a guess, sometimes with a warning, sometimes I assume the person knows they get what they paid for. Sometimes you're right and sometimes you're so far off it's embarrassing.

Don't want people to read your post??? put it on facebook and tighten up your security settings and see how much that helps...

sawdustmaker

I'm fighting electrical and hydraulic issues with my first trackhoe right now. It happens to be a 9040b in link belt paint. I'm also having trouble finding troubleshooting help with these machines. I do see a lot of questions go unanswered but this seems to be more of a forum for fellow owners to help each other than were retired experts hang out. We all wish our questions were answered when we asked them but with heavy equipment the answers aren't simple and common.
These old sumitomos sure leave us asking questions.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I note the disappointment in response to some issues with lesser known products however if you would like some input from our small team we are happy to help see excatech.org
Kind regards
Uffex

Cmark

I've been around here for quite a few years now and as people may know, my speciality is Caterpillar equipment. That said, I'll have a go at any technical question providing;
  • I'm fairly sure the advice I'm giving is right.
  • The questioner provides the serial number without being asked (Cat only).
  • (S)He hasn't just come here for free advice without introducing themselves and saying Hi in their first post.
  • And actually seem like they want to fix the problem themselves with expert guidance, and not simply expect quick, free internet based magic pixie repairs.
I appreciate that sometimes the technical outpourings of HEF keyboard spankers can seem effortless, but with "heavy equipment" covering such a broad subject nowadays, nobody can be expected to know everything about everything and it actually takes (sometimes considerable) time and effort to compile accurate answers to questions which clearly the dealers aren't willing or able to provide answers to.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
i know that i dont have the ONLY case 9040b that was ever built! SO I MUST be the only one not ASHAMED to admit that I own one.

It's obvious that you've experienced some frustration in getting whatever answers you're hoping for, and I can sympathize with that. That having been said, for as vast a collection of knowledge as HEF seems to be, I don't have any trouble admitting that only a tiny fraction of the heavy equipment world even knows we exist, much less participates.

Case? Ask a question about a 580C and you'll get tons of replies, because they were and are so common. A 9040b? not so much.

I for one appreciate each and every member who bothers to make constructive replies to others' requests for help, but shaming those who, for whatever reason, don't post replies is probably counterproductive.

bvfdfire

Occupation
I'm fighting electrical and hydraulic issues with my first trackhoe right now. It happens to be a 9040b in link belt paint. I'm also having trouble finding troubleshooting help with these machines. I do see a lot of questions go unanswered but this seems to be more of a forum for fellow owners to help each other than were retired experts hang out. We all wish our questions were answered when we asked them but with heavy equipment the answers aren't simple and common.
some electrical have been encountered on this machine, and yes some of the issues that im having with it are electrical in nature. hydraulics have always performed outstanding apart from the occasions where cylinders have to be rebuilt.
i also have to do all of my own repairs, i cant afford the astronomic rates the dealer charges.
Cmark sir, you are one the persons that i admire on this site that is willing to provide assistance where its available. by the way, the serial number is 004 0002087. i dont expect answers to everything, in fact most of the time none of the issues that come up never see this forum or any where else.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I for one could not tell you what a 9040b was if you held a knife to my neck. I may just out of curiosity click on a post just to see what a 9040b would be. I think if I had posted a question and saw several "views" but no replies I would feel that at least people are looking to see if they could help. That would be much more encouraging than posting a question and not getting one "view".

Not saying it would be the case (no pun intended) with your post but way too many will put either a subject in that is too vague, like "Won't move, what could be wrong?" or leave out any real information in the body of the question. Like the machine has been parked for ten years of was started with no oil and now makes funny noises! Then there are the ones where several people suggest things to check and the questioner ignores those suggestions and proceeds to pull parts off and replace with other parts. This can cause somewhat of a burn-out effect on some very good people, TCtractor is a prime example.

pp13bnos

The people on this site are top notch. If they can help, they will. As simple as that. When I need help on my D3, or Ex120 info comes quickly. My skidsteer or loader not nearly as quickly. Just comes down to what people are familiar with. I can't imagine not having HEF around. Its saved me lots of $$ over the years.

Tinkerer

I for one could not tell you what a 9040b was if you held a knife to my neck. I may just out of curiosity click on a post just to see what a 9040b would be.
I think if I had posted a question and saw several "views" but no replies I would feel that at least people are looking to see if they could help. That would be much more encouraging than posting a question and not getting one "view".

Not saying it would be the case (no pun intended) with your post but way too many will put either a subject in that is too vague, like "Won't move, what could be wrong?" or leave out any real information in the body of the question. Like the machine has been parked for ten years of was started with no oil and now makes funny noises! Then there are the ones where several people suggest things to check and the questioner ignores those suggestions and proceeds to pull parts off and replace with other parts. This can cause somewhat of a burn-out effect on some very good people, TCtractor is a prime example.
My thoughts exactly !
Especially when one of your questions had 54 responses from some of the most knowledgeable and helpful members here.
Your request for help on removing the body panel on that machine was one that didn't get any replies I would think, is because there aren't any members on here that has ever had one off.
The other question that received 0 replies was about the air conditioning problem. There again a not very popular machine with a unusual problem.
I am one of those members that viewed your thread and didn't reply because I have no meaningful help I could give you. I will also say good luck on getting any more help on HEF we'll see , time will tell.

Hobbytime

im, new and try to participate the best I can in the capacity that im knowledgeable in..I have asked questions with a range of answers, some many some few...many of the comments I read from the older members is how hard it has become to post and get posts, just the other day I believe scrub posted he was done with the sight for access issues...and this has been an issue on many other sights either owned by the same company or other companies... but you have been a member from 2010 and only have 158 posts..that 22 a year less than 2 a month..not very active if you ask me...but you complain noone pays you attention..I havent looked at your posts to see if all your posts were on your threads..but you need to be active to make the place work...if everyone with your time in only had your post count it would be mighty quiet here...and I have no clue what a 9040b is unless I google it..IMHO:)
PS I thought this was going to be about the dentist from the tittle,,,LOL

bvfdfire

Occupation
the post i made about about a body panel that you make reference to was actually looking for cabin filters on the mentioned case machine. i suppose in hindsight that apparently a sumitomo/case/link-belt/kobelco machine is not as common of a machine as i thought, or almost no one has issues with them. i realize case has hitched up to pretty odd wagons in the past(poclain and drott),but they arent the only ones. i dont post as much here as i suppose in should, but i have tried to answer questions when i could, and i have even been scammed by a high number poster here so my responses have been jaded ever since.
PS I thought this was going to be about the dentist from the tittle,,,LOL
i did get a nerve hit last time i was at the dentist, dang that hurt.

CatKC

I sometimes just VIEW questions to see the 'solution' and gain knowledge. But I usually do not view a question unless it is on particular machine or in an 'area' that I may be able to assist and I sometimes view questions but not reply as I don't feel I could add anything helpful. Even though I don't have a vast knowledge of many machines I am willing to help or give suggestions. Some questions transcend equipment 'models' and can be answered if the 'problem' is stated along with the equipment model.
One thing I really appreciate seeing is -detailed feedback- or as much detail as possible in what has been done.

Last edited:

bvfdfire

Occupation
perhaps I should have tried that approach. I have found that the air conditioning system that the Case track hoe that I asked about is in fact built by Denso, and I'm down to chasing millivolt amperage across the control board since it appears that the issue may be there.
And yes, I have gotten a lot of valuable information from the senior posters on here, and I built my own line boring systems with some advice (re:) lots of advice. But I have in fact, done what the title of my post says and have "struck a nerve".

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I haven't been here very long but I browse through the "New Posts" page when I'm on lunch or coffee breaks. If I see something that piques my interest I'll click on it. I read a lot of threads just to broaden my knowledge and I try not to comment unless I can contribute something useful to the thread.

wornout wrench

Good morning .
It's summer. I don't spend that much time on HEF as I do in the cooler months.

A line first post of this thread did hit a nerve.
"to the masters that used to frequent here. you are missed, to the ones that refuse to share anything, thanks,for nothing."

I'm not a power poster, but I have offered up advise on several occasions. It is usually well received.

While I would never, ever think of putting myself in the same bracket as people like Cmark, Nige, kshansen, TCtractors, I do have a certain skill set that 45 years of being on the business end of a set of wrenches will do to you.

Yesterday there was another post that got my back up, a comment that there are no good mechanic's.

This "good" mechanic is getting a little sick and tired of people asking for free advice and not liking what they get.

So far I have removed myself from 4 RV forums. I got sick of back yard mechanics trying to override my advice telling me that I have no idea how their motorhome works, because I do not own the same one.

I have removed myself from the GM forum, mostly because of the internal bickering and political agenda's

I come here for a good read, I follow certain threads and on occasion I will offer my 2 cents worth of knowledge, and now I am not sure if I even want to do that anymore.

This is a great forum, ask your questions and be patient.
Don't insult people, you will get better responses.

bvfdfire

Occupation
What type of electrical issues are you having? I have found that these machines seem to be plagued with connector issues, such as burnt connectors and dust destroying contact surfaces.

sawdustmaker

My computer is acting half brain dead at the moment, I suspect the buck converter is bad. i took it to a circuit board repair shop today hoping they can find and repair whatever is wrong.

Hydraulically im not certain i have any issues that wont go away when the computer is operating as it should. Whatever that doesnt fix i think i can fix by cleaning the valve bank. Obviously the pump controls are not working with the computer out. The other issue i have is that it bogs really bad any time the bucket function is used, unless the boom and stick functions are also being used and then its like normal. My uneducated guess would be that there's a poppet on the Bucket 1 spool thats hung. but then it would sometimes show up on stick fuctions as well?? idk. one thing at a time and right now the computer is first priority.
Im looking into making an arduino pump controller if the shop cant help. I may be nuts to try it, but...

CatKC

I have found that the air conditioning system that the Case track hoe that I asked about is in fact built by Denso, and I'm down to chasing millivolt amperage across the control board since it appears that the issue may be there.

Don't know what kind of AC problem you are having that requires a 'millivolt circuit trace' but if you expand, perhaphs I might be able to offer some suggestions.