• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

liebherr 538

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
scan0002.jpg

According to the Austrian manufacturer the shovel is designed for high volume work,with the machine being aimed at the quarry and construction sectors.
Powered by a john deere 143hp engine the L538 is a hydrostatic machine,fitted with two limited diff locks to provide 45% locking on both axles.The hydro -drive Liebherr claim to be the main difference from their opposition.Bolted to the engine the dedicated load sencing pump transmission pump provides oil to two hydrostatis motors on the rear axle.At low speeds these drive units work together to provide maximum pushing power with a shaft connecting each axle.As the speed increases the with a reduced load the oil flow diminishes to one motor to maintain engine revs at this faster pace.The hydrostatic system requires the operator to reduce the engine revs as the engine load increases.
This approach allows the swash plate angle to open up which allows more oil to the motors giving greater torque and power and has a turning circle of 5.9m .Engine fan speed is temperature regulated to help reduce the power drag on the engine this fan is also reversible to allow debris to be blown out of the rad

Engine four cyl 4.5L turbo John Deere
Power 143hp
transmission stepless hydrostatic ,40kph
Hydraulics 140L/min
Lift hight 3.7m
Lift capacity 7.2ton (metric)

Cost approx (EIRE) usd 163,000

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Down this neck of the woods the L538's have Liebherr motors in them, not John Deere.
Largest Liebherr with a John Deere engine around town in an L524.
Interesting how manufacturers tailor for different markets

behive

Occupation
silage contractor
My 1st post so here goes,this is a 534 (jd eng).I've got a 538 (lbhr 6.4l 4cyl) which is blowing viton o-rings on hydrostat motors.pressures & temps within spec.Is used on silage pit so hard work anyway,anyone recomend stronger o-rings?
tks Geoff

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Welcome there behive,are there little white plastic rings there with those O-rings?

behive

Occupation
silage contractor
Hi Stock,no extra rings,I'm going to try o-rings approx 20% stronger than viton next, o-rings are 9mm O.D 1.8 mm section, after that maybe copper washers. My loader is configured same as agri contractor L534 same as your photo. Apparently I'm using it to it's full capabilities. I'm open to all suggestions!
thks Geoff

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm with stock, welcome to the forum behive. :waving

Could you give us a little more info of where the orings are being used? Pump end section sealing to pump body? Hose/line fittings? Pump housing plugs? A little more description might help. ;)

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Pumps and motors on those machines are manufactured by Rexroth.
I seem to recall a similar problem with one of the local machines.
Problem was traced to the meeting faces not being flat (manufacturing defect ?)
Beefier O-Rings were fitted to solve the problem.
Hope this helps

behive

Occupation
silage contractor
Hi Wabcoman,o-rings are under hydrostat motor control housing,I've refaced with 1200 w&d on heavy perspex sheet.
thks Geoff

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi behive, Are the o-rings hard when they come out i.e could it be a heat problem!

behive

Occupation
silage contractor
Hi CPS,I've fitted additional oil cooler,o-rings not obviously heat hardened,100c temp alarm comes on occasionally when roading .Not to say heat is'nt compromising o-ring performance,silage pit work is extreme hard work on transmisson systems i.e. high rolling resistance.Options are 20%+ viton next, then viton encapsulated with ptfe ,after that?
thks Geoff