• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Liebherr T282 accident

Peter Kennedy

Occupation
coal miner
A Kiwi operator did the same thing to a 282 where I work and the download reveiled that the half loaded truck hit the "Whopperstopper" at the bottom of a long downramp at 99 Km per hour. The truck was a writeoff and believe it or not the Kiwi kept his job .

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
I stand corrected ...... OK then, "A la Cat & Komatsu" versus the rest .......

Komatsu didn't have oil-cooled multi-plate discs on their large electric-drive models. Until the 930 came out they had (and still have for that matter on anything smaller than the 930) dry discs mounted on the outboard end of the wheel motor and turning at twice armature speed. They burn up in one hell of a hurry if you use them at any speed more than about 10mph.

I may be biased but I know which of the two I'd rather have to stomp the red pedal on if I got in a bind .......

Nige I'm a little older than most of the people posting. But you are right about the armature brakes. We had Unit Rig M100 electo hauls with air flex type tube front brakes and armature rear brakes for low speeds (under 10 mph) we changed lots of rear brakes our Cat 779s had oil cooled disc brakes (circa 1967-1968)

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
That was after my time in mining our M100s had 12v149 Detroit diesels, Next mine up the road Pima had M85 16v71 Detroit Diesels and our Cats was the D348. The EMDs were after Unit Rig had a falling with GE

Last edited:

alco

I can recall the 200-ton Unit Rigs in Africa working on the Zambian Copperbelt circa 1970-ish. Those fcukers had an EMD locomotive engine fitted ...........

I'm guessing those were M200s?

EH 4000

A Kiwi operator did the same thing to a 282 where I work and the download reveiled that the half loaded truck hit the "Whopperstopper" at the bottom of a long downramp at 99 Km per hour. The truck was a writeoff and believe it or not the Kiwi kept his job .

Sounds like Mt Arthur, been a few photos floating around on the 'net of that one.

Ross

Ouch nice impact.

Loss of dynamics are a thing of the past on newer AC drive haul trucks. No Invertors on a 930E. Well not as we know them. The IGBT's are paired up for each phase pole.

A 930E has wet brakes all round but a seperate park brake unlike a CAT.

Oh yeah all the CAT wet brake spew makes me laugh. What about when the Park brake relief valves stick open on them old 789's? This normally happens after a few long downhill hauls. Totally rubbish on the long downs with a load on!

Or how about when the Duo-Cones start to leak after brake over temps? (Usually after a few un loaded downhill runs)

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
S'funny. Our loaded haul is mostly downhill with 789's and I have yet to see a leaking Duo-Cone seal even though we have far more high brake temp events in VIMS than I am comfortable with ..... and don't ask about payload overloads..... :eek:

Ross

S'funny. Our loaded haul is mostly downhill with 789's and I have yet to see a leaking Duo-Cone seal even though we have far more high brake temp events in VIMS than I am comfortable with ..... and don't ask about payload overloads..... :eek:

Never seen a leaky Duo-Cone seal Nige? Like never?

Your in for a shock if you ever get the newer 'Electronic brake F' Trucks.

What's the over temp trigger set at on your trucks?

And Iam talking about downhill hauls. Like a few Km's worth of non stop downs.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have seen leakers before, just not here - 994s are worse than trucks, you only have to park them for a day and they are weeping, but they stop as soon as the machine goes back to work.

Over-temp trigger is standard 122DegC for a Level 2 Event with Level 3 triggering at 127 DegC (or if Level 2 goes on for longer than 60 seconds IIRC). I have ours set up on Manual EREC to generate a VIMS Snapshot if we trigger a brake over-temp.

Haven't seen a rear leaker here here on 17 trucks (so far, with 15 more to come). All our front leakers were at very low hours straight out of the box and all except 1 were cured in short order by wheel bearing adjustments. That one it turned out the Toric Ring was "shaved" during assembly at the factory.

Our 789Cs run 185 tonne target payload but average in the mid-190's, with some loads up to 220, just scraping in on the 10/10/20 Rule (120% for 185 target is 222). Our longest downhill loaded stretch is 1.9km long with one part of it at 12% and the rest at 9-11%. That downhill section is right at the start of a 9.5km loaded haul to the tailings dam. Some other parts of the haul are also downhill loaded but probably only about 5% downgrade.