• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

limb saw

gwhammy

looking at these which one is best, chain saw or circular saw for a limb saw? I'm leaning toward a circular thinking it wouldn't get pinched or torn up as easy as a chain saw. Probably going to put it on the quick attach on the mid size excavator for more reach. I have quick couplings on the thumb and my machine has a two way and jackhammer one way hydraulics which may flow to much.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Interesting. What mid-size excavator saw attachments are you looking at?

gwhammy

Don't really know, just started looking at them. Might build my own. Looks like most are a low flow, it shows my machine has 41 gpm pump but not sure what the flow is on the aux. It runs a jackhammer real good but in the two way flow it's not real fast on the thumb.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired

If this is the type of work you're looking at then this type of head would be perfect.

gwhammy

Ya, that machine cost more than all my equipment combined. I'm looking at clearing edges on my farm and some neighbors farms. Just fill in work when I'm tired of doing dirt work. I've got a fairly nice tree sheer with rotating head been thinking about mounting it on the excavator but it would have to be right on the quick attach which would limit reach.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

If this is the type of work you're looking at then this type of head would be perfect.

Those are impressive. Several tree companies here have one but like OP said they are expensive.

From GW's post I was envisioning something like a 3' diameter circular saw blade on the end of an excavator. :D

gwhammy

I was thinking 2 foot dia. that's the size the amish around me use on there saws to cut down trees since they can't use chain saws. That would cut about any limb hanging out. I've got a homemade brush hog I don't use anymore thinking about using the gear box and motor off of it. That would give me a good mounting point for the blade and save a lot of fab work.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I wasn't so much post about the machine although if I was younger I could make a decent living with one. The beauty of that type of head is that you're not dropping limbs but lowering them. This type of head is made for excavators of different sizes.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Asplundh has a couple of these around here they use to trim power lines along roadways.

They came down our street the other day with one a couple of weeks ago. They used this along the ROW where no houses were and used bucket trucks and saws around the houses. I got a few trees cut down and trimmed up that I've been wanting gone for a while.