• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Line boring equipment

Shivan Dookeran

Hey HEF members, I have been looking into portable line boring equipment as the options are limited on our island. I’m seeing the Chinese have made leaps and bounds in their products as well as the made in USA stuff. My questions are , are the Chinese units worth the time or should I invest in the more expensive USA units. Secondly is mig a good way or is the stick welding acceptable to build up the worn areas
Bear in mind I have little to no experience in repairs but I am willing to learn

Welder Dave

Mig welding allows the welding to be mechanized and can be done vertical and horizontal. Stick welding is for the occasional job. It can do vertical and horizontal but is slower and more difficult. If setting up to do lineboring get a system that also runs the Mig welding head. Several threads on line boring on here if you search the archives. Tom V recently posted some of his line boring equipment.

Shivan Dookeran

Mig welding allows the welding to be mechanized and can be done vertical and horizontal. Stick welding is for the occasional job. It can do vertical and horizontal but is slower and more difficult. If setting up to do lineboring get a system that also runs the Mig welding head. Several threads on line boring on here if you search the archives. Tom V recently posted some of his line boring equipment.
Thanks a mill for the reply , I was just reading thru some of his posts and yours as well, learnt a lot about what I am about to invest in .
p.s Canada is a straight plane ride to the islands if you ever wanna get away from the cold and snow … you always welcomed .reading about your life experience makes me appreciate every bit of info you share