• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Linkage shims 80mm

heymccall

So, I've got an NDJ 325FLCR with a loud knock, clunk, when the stick swings back over center. Far more pronounced when bucket is loaded.
I want to shim the barrel end of the stick cylinder 80mm pin.
I believe as the stick cylinder goes from tension to compression, it is jumping from adjacent ear to opposite ear, as it has 3/16" clearance there.
Cat parts is down at the moment, but, using the pdf below, I found listings for 80mm shims.
093-0083 @ 1mm
133-2425 @ .5mm
093-0115 @ 2mm

Any way to determine if they are metal or urethane (plastic)?
Screenshot_20221109-135908_Drive.jpg

Also, I saw this...Screenshot_20221109-140200_Chrome.jpg
How would you go about determining if that has occurred?

Attachments

• Cat pins and shims b1.pdf
    914.7 KB · Views: 4

heymccall

Digging further, I see thisScreenshot_20221109-143718_Drive.jpg
And, that (166-1486) looks to be the 80mm id plastic shim (polyolefin, from Cat).

From below

Attachments

• CM20220210-03e3d-d7311.pdf
    524.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: DB2

DB2

What about that McMaster place ? They seem to have everything else.

Sorry didn’t see the reply that you had found them already.

heymccall

Screenshot_20221109-140200_Chrome.jpg

This one feels (and sounds) different than just the stick cylinder barrel walking side to side as the cylinder goes from tension to compression and back.

Lagwagon

How would I find the plastic (urethane) ones?
Why do you want plastic over steel? A few years ago I ordered what I thought were 90mm steel for my boom, came as plastic to my surprise. I wasn’t game enough to use them as my reckoning was that the side to side stick movement would squish them out. I couldn’t think how they could possibly stand up to that sort of beating.

heymccall

Aside from the fact that they are used OEM by Caterpillar, I find that they cushion any side to side movement and appear to outlast steel shims. Mind you, these are for lateral shimming of horizontal pin joints. I'd never use them in a vertical pin application like a wheel loader center pivot.

Another reason that I can't really explain is that, even fully greased up, they tend to shed debris faster, and I find my wear faces tend to wear less. I suppose it's because the debris shedding tends to prevent the grease from becoming liquid sandpaper.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've not heard of loose baffles inside a boom without the boom showing cracking on the outside. Was a big C series problem for years.

heymccall

We've cracked the boom on a 320C, both 324D, a 330C, and a 345C. Always near the boom jacks, in the side plates. Two ran around the corner. Always accompanied by a rust stain, which is the only way I've ever found them.
Also, broke the boom's stick boss or nose on a 330B and just had a new nose welded on a 314DLCR.