• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Little excavators

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I've never seen value in a mini excavator. I like a backhoe loader.
We had a generator to install. Customer has a CUT tractor with a post hole auger. I figured the stand, we could sink four post holes for the legs. Trench was 20 feet through a maze of shrubbery, I'd dig the 2' deep ditch by hand.
Then, he decided on an underground propane tank 100 feet away from the generator.
Customer had been suffering symptoms a month or more & just learned he has a fractured vertebrae. He came up with the idea of borrowing his neighbor's mini excavator, A Kubota 4.1? metric ton machine. His friend would run it. Somehow the operator fell through. I had the opportunity to operate it.

Everything about the machine was a sweet little package except a few issues:

It bobs around like a rubber duck in a bathtub! Rarely on flat level ground, it is often crossed up, supported on the blade & 1 end of 1 track. Blade is six in 1 so I could tilt it for better stability, yet often I found myself crossed up. Swinging to the side, it'd be easy to tip, at least until the bucket touches the ground.
Sidehill work is interesting! No house levelling as you'd do in a big excavator, turntable angle is the hillside angle.

Not much reach. I found myself pushing the extend a hoe button often, only to remind myself it doesn't have one.

Specifications were flat bottom hole 11' x 4-1/2" 5 feet deep. I found I couldn't reach the other side & couldn't see the side I was digging from the seat. When a rock rolled out of the wall, I couldn't reach it, had to get into the hole to roll it within reach.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
No house levelling as you'd do in a big excavator, turntable angle is the hillside angle.

I have never own or ran a large excavator that has house leveling. You can level out mini's or other small excavators with a blade somewhat on a hillside.

JMO - Sold my 420DIT last year as it always sat and we might have put 25 hours on it in 4 years. Bought a used 305E back in '21 and have put 1500 hrs on it since then. Didn't know how much we would use a mini until we bought one. :)

YMMV

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Was it better than digging the hole by hand?
Indeed it is better. On flat ground digging ditch it'd be quicker than my full sized backhoe weighing twice as much. I was simply surprised at a couple shortcomings. I dug a 5' deep hole & much deeper would have been a struggle.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Indeed it is better. On flat ground digging ditch it'd be quicker than my full sized backhoe weighing twice as much. I was simply surprised at a couple shortcomings. I dug a 5' deep hole & much deeper would have been a struggle.
Any machine run at it's limits will be slower & less productive.