• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loaders, Limbers and Roadbuilders.

csquared

We seem to have a thread for everything else, might as well combined all makes of forestry excavators, road builders, processors and loaders to one thread.

csquared

2001 Hyundai 210LC-3 high walker road builder summer 2008
n602430715_4011140_5623-1.jpg

2004 Deere 2054, painted green. loading a beast grinder, spring 2009
chippin029.jpg

chippin031.jpg

csquared

more pics to come.. why wont the attachement thing work?

Last edited:

dblott

Occupation
Old school trained(here's how you start it, here's
same thing, 3 weeks ago. (Haven't figured out how to do multiples yet).
th_cid__02-01-11951553.jpg
These are from camera phone.Sorry about the quality.

dblott

Occupation
Apparently I need to study the picture posting techniques also, as clicking won't make these thumbnails bigger.These are the first pics I've posted anywhere.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Here's my EX200-2 Roadbuilder I bought from Skadill! I love this thing!

Attachments

• HPIM7148 (Small).JPG
    HPIM7148 (Small).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 10,981
  • HPIM6939 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6939 (Small).JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 10,970
  • HPIM7142 (Small).JPG
    HPIM7142 (Small).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 10,953
  • HPIM6941 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6941 (Small).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 10,945
  • HPIM6940 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6940 (Small).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 10,891

skadill

This was it working before its computer annurism,and the last send off

Attachments

• DSCN2359.jpg
    DSCN2359.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 14,074
  • DSCN2445.jpg
    DSCN2445.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 13,896

dblott

Occupation
I'd cast a yes vote on the feller bunchers. Our company had two at one time. Each of us roadbuilders would cut his own r/w. A Timberjack 2520 engine down with a shear head, and a 229 Cat front shovel with a rotosaw head. We used them until they wore out. The boss wanted to buy a newer machine with a hotsaw, but with jobs becomung more seasonal, couldn't justify it without hiring a fulltime operator to keep the machine running everyday vs a couple of months of work and sit the rest of the year. Too many local feller bunchers to compete for cutting units. We owned our own pits, so if we weren't building road, we didn't have a place to haul our rock.
I used a real camera with the last 2 pics. They were clear when I downloaded them on the computer, and when I downsized them before I attached them. Why do they look grainy now?

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Well I'm using iPhoto, so I don't know if I can upload them all. I'll have to somehow resize them. I wouldnt have a clue why, some thing in the upload process. I'll see what I can do.

trakloader

Typical West coast road builder..... Haha! It's still a backhoe, but it's undergoing conversion to a log loader. Eventually, it may go on the "Straits Waterskidder"

Attachments

• trucks 0761.jpg
    trucks 0761.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 9,934
  • trucks 0771.jpg
    trucks 0771.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 9,871
  • trucks 0781.jpg
    trucks 0781.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9,727

KW850&T800H

COPPA
Typical West coast road builder..... Haha! It's still a backhoe, but it's undergoing conversion to a log loader. Eventually, it may go on the "Straits Waterskidder"

Wow, what a machine, what do they have to change and add to make it a log loader? I know guarding grapple, what else? And keep us posted on the progress.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Paul Bunyan passed on years ago.

Just where are you going to find sticks big enough to justify converting that into a log loader?

dblott

Occupation
Maybe the main reason they need that big machine is for it’s excavator capabilities (and it’s paid for?). The log loader may be a secondary use. If they keep the exc. front, all they need is a heeling rack and grapples, and the plumbing for open/close and r/l rotate. (quick-disconnect couplers would be a plus). I don’t see a thumb, but I think I see enough lines going up the boom. Also a hydraulic quick change would be good, as trying to drive those pins would be a pain.:Banghead

This is how my 325B is set up. I have the 2 bolt, wedge style quick change. The two bolts are the slowest part of changing over.
waiting for next job.JPG

15 minutes is all it takes me to change back and forth between fully functional excavator (bucket and thumb), to fully functional live heel and grapple.

trakloader

They wanted a machine with more reach, for loading from the deck of their log barge. They got a good deal on that huge backhoe, and got as far as putting the cab riser and guarding on. I think they were just going to use the dangling grapple, no heel. The project isn't top priority now, though, since the barge needs some work before it can support that machine.

dblott

Occupation
Thanks for the comeback trakloader! Are they going to add some hinged plate panels on the lower sections of the uprights to further protect the tinware?
I do have some more questions, if you don't mind, regarding the barge and loading/offloading. Will the shovel ship with the barge or stay on the loading end? Will it unload trucks, be serviced by a wheel loader or just load out of a cold deck then deck on the barge? Or will it retreive the logs from the water? Excavator front might allow this. Will lose a little in stacking height though. I don't mean to sound like a smartass, I'm curious. I've never paid any attention to the loading/unloading of the log barges in our area. I think they use cranes down here. Out of sight, out of mind.

Am I correct in assuming that whatever they "dangle" the grapples from will involve cutting the ears off the bucket to keep the pin and link relationships the same, and welding them to some sort of box (or heel) to pin the grapple to? Or simply bore a hole in the adaptor plate to hang the grapple from?
After all the work they did with riser and guarding, I'm thinking they will go with a heel rack and gain more reach and versatility.