• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loafers

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Does anybody have loafers come by there shop ....I locked all the doors and went to dinner and when I came back there was a couch and chairs in the corner ..Them jokers laughed and said it was about time i got them some where to sit !!! I used to half way cuss them , but these oldtimers where just trying to go to work .. They are all good people to me , Most are in there 70 's ..but it some what enjoying when they argue amongst themselves ..the stories lol ..Does anybody else have Loafers ??

mitch504

I got them too, mine are mostly young, able bodied and on disability. They sit around and talk about how the government doesn't give them enough to have the luxuries they want. They are not entertaining, but if your couch starts getting bare, I will be glad to box them up and UPS you some.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
we have moochers that come by our shop. they dont show up to b.s. just to "borrow" nuts and bolts.

koldsteele

Occupation
I guess in a wierd way i respect my loafers ..I can ask anyone of them if they'll run to town for some parts and they do it..My loafers are old retired guys who i feel just want to leave the house ..I asked one that leaves at excatlly at 10:45 every day whats up with that his reply " well the Price Is Right comes on at 11 and you aint got no TV in the shop "....Hes back at 1 ready to take up space and ask questions ... Mine are harmless just old farmers ...There aggravating but some how there family ..

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
One place I worked had a couple that always wanted to talk old times and how easy we have it now. I had a wash plant go down because some pillow block bearings failed. One of the old guys talked about pouring babbit bearings and offered to show us. Anyway he was an education. We had the plant back up is about 4 hours.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I guess in a wierd way i respect my loafers ..I can ask anyone of them if they'll run to town for some parts and they do it..My loafers are old retired guys who i feel just want to leave the house ..I asked one that leaves at excatlly at 10:45 every day whats up with that his reply " well the Price Is Right comes on at 11 and you aint got no TV in the shop "....Hes back at 1 ready to take up space and ask questions ... Mine are harmless just old farmers ...There aggravating but some how there family ..

koldsteele, if the whole world went the way your shop goes, it would be a helluva lot better. LoL.

There's a wealth of knowledge in elder folks, who no longer work and just want to hang out where the world still happens. :)

koldsteele

Occupation
koldsteele, if the whole world went the way your shop goes, it would be a helluva lot better. LoL.

There's a wealth of knowledge in elder folks, who no longer work and just want to hang out where the world still happens. :)
I'll take that as a "I feel better about mankind " sorta thing ..Ha ha ..What was we always told as kids "respect your elders" .. If nothing I've always done that ..

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'll take that as a "I feel better about mankind " sorta thing ..Ha ha ..What was we always told as kids "respect your elders" .. If nothing I've always done that ..

I suppose that would work. Just sayin, if you got elder loafers, they don't really get in the way, even run for parts now and then, sounds like you got quite an operation going there for everybody. :)

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Well used to have an ole pipe smokin plant man call to the shop relatively frequently.Most knowledgeable man I met,terribly well read,not a know it all just like a road sign constantly guiding one in the right direction.He had worked on every continent, operated most items fitted with a cutting edge or a lifty up yokes.A general gentleman would run errands if asked, we even insured him as a part-time employee . He passed a way a while back and to be honest I miss used to the smell of the pipe as it would signal his arrival.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Everyone in our company is a loafer. I don't have a sofa but they come into the shop at different hours and like to BS and drink coffee or light up a smoke. I like the company but they can be a distraction if your not careful. You can forget where you were at or leave something undone. If I had old guys with experience stopping by the shop, that would be helpful. I have to settle for ATCO for now. ;)

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I suppose that would work. Just sayin, if you got elder loafers, they don't really get in the way, even run for parts now and then, sounds like you got quite an operation going there for everybody. :)
He does need to show some respect and get a TV maybe a Coffee maker with do nuts.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep Stock, it's a sad day indeed when life takes its course and we bury a wealth of knowledge from a priceless individual. :yup

Rob, if I was in your shop, I wouldn't be a loafer, I would be the gnat that buzzzes around you and drives you crazy. :naughty :tong

LoL Bill, well, they got a couch and chairs, things are moving up for them. :D