• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Logging Accidents: And They Walked Away.........

Bagswa51

Occupation
Ag.
1976; Pyramid Logging from Monroe, WA. Yarder pulled a tail holt and tipped over in the Green River water shed. Marv Flickner the engineer and Greg Martin the hook. Took a few weeks to get back logging. No injuries! Was something to watch it go.......Marv jumped quick!!!!

Mike Hill

I was Hook Tending for a Madill 171 in New Zealand ten years ago.The tailhold was a bit sketchy and after a few turns a big "Whip" went though the Skyline.I thought the Dozer had pulled free,then a machine operator came down the hill (highly unusual) and asked us if we were ok.

Turns out the Hauler had tipped over.The foreman had only connected one of the two Ropes from a dead man anchor and when the weight came on that guy line over went the Hauler.It had tipped up on its nose,turned and then fallen.No damage to the Machine but the driver had "Sheppards Pie" in his pants.

lg junior

Oopsy.jpg

Born2clearcut

Stuck

Here's the story i got . Mt Washington area on Vancouver Island . Apparently couple of teenagers decided to go for a joy ride, it's Alliford Bays 330 cat that had a processor head on it , They apparently beat the head off in the tree line somewhere and continued out into the swamp with hoses spraying hydraulic fluid everywhere ( i'm sure they didn't stop to plug hoses after they beat the head off ) and got stuck , the area where the machine got stuck was underwater at the time , they had to wait for the water level to drop so they could get out to it which took a month or so. They use crushed cars for punchin to get it out . The guys that got it out took the stick off to make it easier to get out. The teenagers were caught

Attachments

• 330stuck1sm.jpg
    330stuck1sm.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 6,252
  • 330stucksm.jpg
    330stucksm.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 6,030
  • stucksm.jpg
    stucksm.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 6,096

Jdigger4130

WOW!!!! THAT CANT BE CHEAP! I hate vandals man...
Here's the story i got . Mt Washington area on Vancouver Island . Apparently couple of teenagers decided to go for a joy ride, it's Alliford Bays 330 cat that had a processor head on it , They apparently beat the head off in the tree line somewhere and continued out into the swamp with hoses spraying hydraulic fluid everywhere ( i'm sure they didn't stop to plug hoses after they beat the head off ) and got stuck , the area where the machine got stuck was underwater at the time , they had to wait for the water level to drop so they could get out to it which took a month or so. They use crushed cars for punchin to get it out . The guys that got it out took the stick off to make it easier to get out. The teenagers were caught

MikeKB

Havn't heard anything about what happen to them Ryan . I know if it was one of my kids ,he be wishing he was in jail

Knowing the Canadian legal system, with no previous criminal record, they would get a conditional discharge with community hours served and write an apology letter to the owner. If they had a history they would still get f%k all for punishment. Murders don't even get real jail time so if someone destroys your property...No big deal.

Phill

Occupation
land Survey Assistant
well i worked with a guy who at 15 wrote off a benz 10 years later he is still paying off the damages to the owner with interest...

BDFT

This clown rolled over just before Christmas. I had just loaded him and he took off like the devil himself was after him. Then I heard on the radio "Uhhh, can you bring the loader down to the stamp hammer." This self proclaimed "Ice Road Trucker" couldn't even make it off the block with his very first load. Had to unload the truck and send him to town empty. His trailer was bent and broken. He never came back.
shortlogger.jpg

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Thats funny! At least he made more than 20 feet from the loader.
About 6 years ago, I was working for my buddy and his grandpa building new logging road. I was loading out right-of-way logs one morning, and had close to 20 trucks there that morning to slam out. (4 hour R.T. to the mill). I loaded out 5 trucks on one deck, 6 on the next a couple hundrend yards down the road, and had moved another 500 feet down the road to another deck. I loaded out 3 trucks, on a corner that was about 45 feet wide, with a culvert under about 4 feet of fill on the outside. I had just put the finish on this section of road the day before with the cat, and made this corner extra wide for a log landing and turn around. It had only been compacted with the dozer, me and Matt's pickups, and the three trucks I had just loaded.

Anyway, I loaded this guy, who was sitting pretty much dead center of the road. Told him on the radio to stay away from that right side of the road while loaded. Let the emptys have that side, loaded trucks take the inside to pass each other. I don't think he understood right from left and pulled over to the right side of the road to wrap up and let the empty truck in. I had just spun around to seperate some shortys when I caught a glimpse of chrome flying through the air. Looked over my left shoulder just in time to see his truck, trailer and compleate load of logs crash on his right side, with the culvert about 3 feet from the back of his truck. So I walked the loader back up to him, couldn't have been 100 feet. Got his logs out from beside him, we hooked some chains and wrappers up to him in about 6 places. Hooked him to the loader and an empty and flopped him right back into the road. Pulled him up outta the way, he cleaned his shorts out, readjusted his passenger side mirror, picked up his broken off stack, then backed under me for a load. I gave him a load of pulp, hue wood, tops and shortys just for being a jackwagon, after I loaded out the reamaining trucks.

This guy had been hauling logs for over 30 years as on owner/operator, and had had very few mishaps. He was so embarased that he never came back.

Modunkel

Occupation
Logger
60' from the loader just drove off the road. Funny how those guys don't keep a job. Another one of our trucks tipped over at a major intersection and made the front page of the paper. Great advertising lol.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
This is the Cat stuck in post 106,It now is working on the North end of the Island .Runs pretty good except every time it goes through a mud puddle it shudders

Attachments

• Ergo tour and 850 016 (Custom).jpg
    Ergo tour and 850 016 (Custom).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 5,193
  • Ergo tour and 850 017 (Custom).jpg
    Ergo tour and 850 017 (Custom).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4,825

prolog nz

definate change of underwear lol I was told he only recieved a few stitches an bruising

apparently he was standing up in the cab when it happened and he went with it to the ground

Someone from up that way might no the full story?

123-12

Holy moly that gives me the ****s considering i am on a 123 like this myself,i will be giving those mounts a good look over in the morning!!!

prolog nz

Yeah keep plenty of grease in those bottom pins and watch for wear down there would be my thoughts.
We linebored and repinned the bottom of ours a year or so ago when it started getting abit of excess play. I don't no the condition of the one that failed they may have been mint? but when you get play down there you get shock loading through the machine when you get on the brakes hard, swing etc. so it can't be doing those bottom mounts any good